Re: [opensuse] Attempting (and failing) to use my UPS

* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-19-08 22:17]:
On Wednesday, 2008-11-19 at 21:14 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

post ups.conf, upsd.conf and upsd.users

ups.conf:

[myups]
# "BELKIN Active Battery Backup"
driver = megatec_usb -DDD
port = auto
desc = "Local UPS"
# user = root

the other two are not used. As I say, if the driver fails to load, the
script exits and does not start the daemon, so it does not
matter how it is configured.

upsd.conf grants access control and
upsd.users sets permissions for the daemon

I know this for sure, I have done strace on it. And I inserted an "exit"
instruction on the script to make absolutely sure the daemon does not
attempt to start.

The problem is that megatec_usb can not access the USB if run as user. And
the driver controller has harcoded to run it as user. Not configurable.

Yes, I tried "run_as = root", and "... -u root". No difference.

yes, but you are trying to make the daemon run from the control
script. You said that you *could* run the daemon as root. The
daemon is not meant to be ran as user, but the <user> defined in the
upsd.users file. I have defined mine to run as user = upsd and

ps aux | grep ups

upsd 11177 0.0 0.0 7496 3980 ? Ss Nov18 0:04 /usr/lib/ups/driver/newhidups -a myups

Try setting up upsd.users and upsd.conf and run the script direct from
the cl:
/usr/lib/ups/driver/megatec_usb -a myups -u <defined_user>

[defined_user]
password = passwd
allowfrom = localhost
actions = SET
instcmds = ALL
upsmon master

my port is set to = auto and I cannot show it with ls, I know that it
is Bus 002 Device 002 as it is shown by lsusb.

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Back-UPS Pro 500/1000/1500

I do not know what device that equates to: /dev/???

the _ctl script is not necessary to start it by hand, but you know that.

Just try it. :^)

gud luk,

  • Re: Nvidia driver problems.
    ... Log in as root. ... Run the Script to install NVidia's driver. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Attempting (and succeeding) to use my UPS
    ... script exits and does not start the daemon, ... instruction on the script to make absolutely sure the daemon does not ... the driver controller has harcoded to run it as user. ... I have defined mine to run as user = upsd and ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Trying to bring up wifi
    ... RUNNING BEFORE DRIVER FULLY LOADED ... The typical method for lauching the daemon is to spawn it from within ... A value of -1 will result in the daemon waiting forever. ... the ipw3945 hardware is enabled the module is loaded and the script is ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Laptop shock detection and harddisk protection
    ... There's another issue with the current sysfs interface, ... I had in mind another daemon listening for "unload now" events, ... This driver * provides access and mutual exclusion for the EC ... ALRD -> is used by the driver to read out registers of the accelerometer ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Yosemite hot CPU problem
    ... I removed that launch daemon and the ... the driver, installed by an old version of the Snapper software. ... I still had a copy of the first version of the installer ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)