Re: [opensuse] Resolution problem SOLVED [Was: Repos for 10.3 gone on mirrors and download.opensuse.org?]

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 15:46 +0100, LLLActive@xxxxxxx wrote:

Found something. Where does an entry of 127.0.0.2 with <hostname> come
from in hosts? I deleted it and Online Update Configuration is running
again.

I think it comes from Yast. It is done (I guess) so that if you access
the local machine it will resolve the name in /etc/hosts and get a
loopback address (127.x.x.x). That way you do not use your network card
to access the local machine. It is done for speed and efficiency
reasons. This has been done for quite some time. I am not sure how this
could effect any external access. I would imagine you should not just
delete the entry for your local machine. Perhaps set it to your local IP
address as used on your network card. Otherwise any references to your
local machine (unless it is in the DNS) will fail.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--

"On two occasions I have been asked (by members of Parliament!),
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.