[opensuse] sudden lockups

Hi list
I'm trying to find out why my HP2133, running OpenSuse11.0 occasionally freezes. The mouse pointer and keyboard stop working. I have been wondering if it is a hardware problem.

Running the system load applet, I see CPU usage stop, memory usage stay the same, swap stays at zero, but system load (whatever that might be if its not the cpu nor memory nor swap) steadily climbing.

I have taken to running top from the console once I get the login, in the hope that I can ctrl-alt-f1 to that when it locks up.

So far I have managed to do that, and found something called Ksoftirqd/0 dominating the list, with high CPU usage.

What's that then?

Bob

  • Re: [SLE] What is the big user of my CPU
    ... > Memory usage is a stable 7.7%. ... Fix font display problems showing up with internationalized ... applications using legacy toolkits like gtk1, ... result in 100% CPU usage by the Xserver when starting such ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to debug high system load?
    ... So my question is since CPU usage is already so low, ... driving up the system load? ... Doing background uploads or downloads? ... I also use OfflineIMAP to sync my email, but that is setup to run every ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: O/T: Wierd FTP interrupts - please help
    ... Random Programmer schreef: ... This makes me think of the Sasser virus ... > my system load (not CPU usage) would slowly increase to 100%, ... I'm not quite sure how system load is calculated, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: O/T: Wierd FTP interrupts - please help
    ... It said an instruction at 0x77bd3143 tried to reference memory at ... my system load (not CPU usage) would slowly increase to 100%, ... I'm not quite sure how system load is calculated, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • natd is with high cpu use
    ... The natd is with 100% cpu usage. ... Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free ... PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND ...
    (freebsd-questions)