[opensuse] sudden lockups

Hi list
I'm trying to find out why my HP2133, running OpenSuse11.0 occasionally freezes. The mouse pointer and keyboard stop working. I have been wondering if it is a hardware problem.

Running the system load applet, I see CPU usage stop, memory usage stay the same, swap stays at zero, but system load (whatever that might be if its not the cpu nor memory nor swap) steadily climbing.

I have taken to running top from the console once I get the login, in the hope that I can ctrl-alt-f1 to that when it locks up.

So far I have managed to do that, and found something called Ksoftirqd/0 dominating the list, with high CPU usage.

What's that then?

Bob