Re: [opensuse] NFS client/server problems when an NFS server is offline

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 12:59 +0100, Clayton wrote:
Is this normal? Shouldn't the intr option allow for the possibility
of a NFS sever not being available, essentially pushing the mount
attempts to the background, and silently mounting the NFS when the
server comes available?

No, you're confusing it with soft. Reread the man page (e.g.):
http://linux.die.net/man/5/nfs

I'll revisit this as soon as I can and change the option from hard to
soft on all 3 machines.

Is this (using NFS server/client) a reasonable solution in a situation
like this? Is there a better way to do this? (no central server, and
wanting to share a partition on each drive across a small home
network).

Well it's better not to design your network like this, with circular
mounts, but it is possible.

I would prefer a central NFS server with clients linking in (which is
what I have on my own home network), but in this case, that isn't so
easy. The home network in this case is essentially 3 personal
computers (for family members) that may or may not be on. They want
to be able to easily access a share partition on each of the 3
computers from any one of the 3 computers... if there is a better/more
reliable way to do this, I'd be happy to give it a go. They initially
tried the Share feature in the file manager (Dolphin), but that was...
unpredictable. YAST does this so much better.

I would suggest to use an small machine as a central point in in your
network, acting as firewall, mail-hub, nfs-server, backup-server, etc
etc...

  • Re: [opensuse] NFS client/server problems when an NFS server is offline
    ... and silently mounting the NFS when the ... server comes available? ... computers that may or may not be on. ... setting the fstab line to noauto and then mount manually after booting ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac.
    ... Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac. ... I've got an nfs server that's refusing to mount one client - via one ... That elimintes NFS on the client, and -most- of the NFS config on the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] Problem with NFS mounts
    ... I have a server that is supposed to be ... mounting two remote file systems via NFS. ... If I run mount -a from the command line it mounts like it ... NFS filesystems exported by an HP-UX server. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Errors writing large files via NFS
    ... files larger than a certain size to a NFS server. ... client systems, although the definition of "too large" varies. ... network paths involved, I'm pretty sure we're not seeing a network problem. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: Mount linux filesystem
    ... >>NFS can do so many more things that SMBfs is just not capable of doing. ... the server auths against the PDC, ... Makes adding another server to a network simple. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)