Re: [opensuse] OS/2

On 2009/02/04 20:17 (GMT+0100) Philipp Thomas composed:

* Larry Stotler (larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx) [20090203 22:44]:

I have a copy of v4 that I need to install at some point to rememer what I
am missing....

I haven't been able to do so. It won't install natively on any hardware I
have and installing in vmware workstation also failed. I even tried a trial
version of eComStation but that also failed to install.

The free trial version does not include support for ACPI or the latest
hardware. The dividing line for support is around the time SATA became the norm.

To install Warp 4 on modern hardware you'll need to update the original CD:
http://www.updcd.tk/

Or, possibly the updated floppy boot method. Better, use an eComStation CD
new enough to include support for your hardware. The latest 2.0RC installs on
most hardware.

Another option is to install on old hardware, update to the latest fixes,
then transfer that HD to a newer system, cloning from PATA to SATA if necessary.

Warp 4 for was released in early 1996. You wouldn't expect Win95 or SuSE 1.0
to install easily on modern hardware, would you?
--
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your
mouths, but only what is helpful for building

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  • Re: Linux hardware support...
    ... DVD writing support is available software-wise with some ... It just works with Debian Sarge and 2.6.0 kernel. ... install gphoto2 and gtkam for GUI operations. ... distro if you want the bulk of the hardware supported. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: memory
    ... > indicates I only have 19 K of physical memory. ... Download, install and run Belarc Advisor. ... Summarize the hardware (not the software section - that gives away ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy
    ... >>> into a konstruct build, and a release install that actually worked, ... To me thats ignoreing any 'community effort', ... hardware AND the software) has gotten far more complex than than it was ... If there is to be a foundation that we need to support else fedora is ...
    (Fedora)
  • TuxOS (Debian-Based)
    ... separate matter, whereupon the hardware detection ... tools (Linux, Windows, DOS, whatever) meant specifically ... or Debian or TuxOS. ... For a distro that wants to install ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Service Pack 2
    ... Should have edited the output to stop at the hardware. ... I do not see anything there preventing you from running SP2. ... After you have the latest hardware drivers, ... BEFORE you install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)