Re: [opensuse] updating

On Thursday 26 February 2009 22:59:36 roberto.tonani@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello there
I would like to have some information. I have a SUSE 10 on my compurter and
would like to
uptodate it with SUSE11. Is it possible?

It depends a little on what you mean by "SUSE 10" and "SUSE 11". There is
something called SLES (or SLED) 10 and 11, which are the enterprise versions,
and then there are the openSUSE versions, which all have decimal versions
(10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 11.0, 11.1)

You can upgrade from SLES/SLED 10 to SLES/SLED 11 (when it's released), and
you can upgrade from an older openSUSE version to a newer one. Only the single
step upgrades have really been tested

If yes how I will be able to do
it?

Simply boot from the installation DVD of the version you want to upgrade to,
select "install" from the initial boot screen, and after a few screens the
system will ask you what you want to do, install a new system, or upgrade an
existing one. You then select to upgrade an existing system, and follow the
prompts

If you have installed a lot of third party packages, there may be some work to
do in the package selection, but other than that, it should be relatively
straight-forward

Anders

  • Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)
    ... not such option called "LiveCD" so I had to blindly install the OS ... months, in the home PC, we can reinstall the newer version again (or upgrade ... In openSUSE you have the chance to: ... Debian is able to do what Suse cannot. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Requesting some leniency on your piracy protection program ple
    ... If Windows is retail, not at all. ... You can reinstall, upgrade, move to a different computer all you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. ... The things I do not get, is not being able to> install the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 10.6.7 Just works
    ... If you have the install disc just pop it in and do a reinstall. ... The recent upgrade to 10.6.7 brings a lot of problems with third part ... I have tried switching System Language, and even restarting the mac. ... Did anyone else run into a slow restart after the 10.6.7 update ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Versions and Updates
    ... SuSE won't upgrade it via YOU for you. ... The same goes for KDE, Gnome, or any ... Gnome packages on their website. ... You're required to install lua from another website: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)