[opensuse] Login screen shows remains of session

Hello listmates,

I have a weird problem with the KDE4 login manager. I am using openSUSE 11.1,
with KDE 4.2, but the problem also existed on KDE 4.1.
I am running the NVIDIA proprietary driver with a Twinview setup (dual
monitors)

The problem is that the secondary screen shows left-overs or artefacts from
the last running session. They also show up briefly on the primary screen
after logging in but before the session is fully loaded. I sometimes also see
a brief flash of them before the screen saver shows the "unlock" dialog.
What are shown are basically snippets of what was shown on screen during the
previous session: bits of a web page, a small part of an image file, an icon,
parts of a menu, parts of a screen of game that was running under wine. Some
of these left-overs repeat, some don't. It's hard to describe, and I don't
know how to provide a screenshot of it.

This behavior was not present in openSUSE 11.0, with KDE 4.1, and also not in
openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.1. So I am assuming that it has something to do with
KDE 4.2.

At one point I thought it was due to files in the thumbnail cache
(~/.thumbnails). So I cleared the thumbnail cache, but this did not change the
problem. Killing the X server at the login screen also doesn't solve the
problem. When X restarts, the problem returns.

It almost seems as bits of a memory buffer are somehow shown from somewhere,
but I have no idea form where. I could not find a bugzilla, but I am not sure
I should file one, since I am using the proprietary driver from NVIDIA. (I can
test with the open source driver before I do that, obviously)

So first I'd like to know if someone has similar experiences, what might be
the cause and what might be done. It's not a huge problem for me, since I am
pretty much the only one who uses that system. But it might be a problem on a
shared computer, since it might show things that the user doesn't want
shown...

Any ideas, anyone?

Regards,

Joop
--
"When you just want a system that works, you choose Linux;
when you want a system that just works, you choose Microsoft."

  • [opensuse] Re: Login screen shows remains of session
    ... In openSUSE 11.0 the default accel. ... 11.1, with KDE 4.2, but the problem also existed on KDE 4.1. ... and I don't know how to provide a screenshot of it. ... I am not sure I should file one, since I am using the proprietary driver ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Why Not Fix the Easy Bugs??
    ... to KDE4 if I could just sit down and 'get work done' on the desktop. ... KDE developers should realise what's going on (and maybe take the great ... distros don't have the issues openSUSE has with KDE ... partition and Arch in another partition. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Ejecting a USB memory stick in v11.2
    ... general issue is the repeated comment from kde developers that further ... opinion about them before, and in my paragraph just above. ... not part of KDE3 but an openSUSE patch. ... I was writing code before modern windowing was more than a glimmer in ...
    (SuSE)
  • [kde] Re: Kmail notifications
    ... Subject: [kde] Re: Kmail notifications ... John Opensuse 11.4 kde 4.6.0 issue 6 ... Eventually linux drivers would become standard as mac ... Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. ...
    (KDE)
  • [opensuse] opensuse 11.1+KDE4 can I upgrade?
    ... kde 4 and others completely unrelated. ... I use opensuse 11 for business and personal use. ... Compiz does not work directly from the dvd. ... Evolution does not work. ...
    (SuSE)