Re: [opensuse] Proxy configuration?

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 01:27:21 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
Hi VK5ZTV de Rodney, :)

2009/3/31 Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 00:28:45 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
Hi,

I have an IPCop box with Update Accelerator and Advanced Proxy.
Behind it I have two OpenSuSE 11.0 machines, one of them only recently
installed but not updated.

I have seen the IPCop box has a few RPM's stored on it and so would
prefer not to download them again.

Do I need to configure the newer OpenSuSE box to query the proxy on
IPCop first before going to the net for its updates or will it happen
automatically as there is no other way onto the net other than thru
the IPCop box?

If I do need to configure it, which file/where etc? I am using KDE on
OpenSuSE.

TIA
Hylton

Hylton,

If you're using Zypper, it uses curl for http downloads. Add the
following lines to /root/.curlrc (as root of course...):

--proxy "<url_to_proxy_server>"
--connect-timeout 30

Thanks for the code lines but I am using Yast and I can supply an IP
for the proxy server.

Regards
Hylton

OK, but doesn't Yast use zypper/libzypp/libcurl behind the scenes? Or am I
mistaken? If so, you do need those lines because otherwise zypper/yast/curl
won't use the proxy settings set in kde or Yast. To get it to work on my box I
had to add the proxy line to /root/.curlrc.

Try it and see. I may be wrong (it has happened before) but that is my
understanding.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: [opensuse] Proxy configuration?
    ... I have an IPCop box with Update Accelerator and Advanced Proxy. ... Behind it I have two OpenSuSE 11.0 machines, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: D-Link DFL-700 Firewall Router - Im impressed
    ... And IPCop requires a computer, requires setup by a competent user, requires that you maintain the computer.... ... "{Acts as a PPTP Server with multiple users able to be setup in groups or permissions. ... IPSec Remote client to gateway VPN (roadwarrior) ... Transparent POP3 antivirus/antispam proxy ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re:
    ... Installieren, einstellen, fertig, ohne in den Eingeweiden des OS eumzumachen sondern einfach über einen WebAdmin. ... Die Subnetze sollten als erstmal strikt getrennt sein. ... sollte nicht als Proxy eingesetzt werden ... das der IPCop den Internetzugang ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: IPCop for Small-Business Network: Web Proxy Usage
    ... Unfortunately I have not found many info on the web proxy feature ... of IPCop. ... > Maybe your Celeron with 128MB had a hardware problem, ... I have my IpCop running on an Compaq 2000 with 32MB ram and a 3Gbit HD ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IPCop for Small-Business Network: Web Proxy Usage
    ... First I wanted to use an old Pentium 166 for IPCop, ... I hope the CPU will be fast enough for our small-business ... || firewall/router with one VPN tunnel and the proxy turned on. ... || Any other comments on my setup are welcome! ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)