RE: [opensuse] creating a tunnel between to networks

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:43 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 14:41 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

Locally I have several Suse boxes and a remote server running Redhat
Enterprise. I'd like to setup an IP tunnel to connect my network to
the remote server. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

I think you have three options:
1) ipsec-tunnel
2) openvpn, tun,tap
3) ssh-tunnel, tun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Hans.

I was looking into vtun, but was hoping that ssh-tunnel would work. Could
I route traffic between two networks connected by an ssh tunnel? If so,
could you point me to some howto's so I could set this up.

Again, many thanks.

James

Hi James,
Have the details / scripts @ work

But you can find most details in:

http://charles.karney.info/tunnel/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN
http://blog.rot13.org/2009/04/simple_network_to_network_vpn_with_openssh_and_tun_device.html

On a good network it works very nice...

Note however,
It an easy method using pre-shared-keys (in contrast with certificates)
You might run into problems if applied over un unreliable network, like
wifi. because it's doing a nested TPC layer ontop of another TCP layer.
And if TCP is causing much re-transmissions you might end up in doing
only re-transmissions ;-)

In those situations openvpn (ip over udp) or ipsec (even less overhead
openswan/strongswan) might be better.

hw

  • RE: [opensuse] creating a tunnel between to networks
    ... Locally I have several Suse boxes and a remote server running Redhat ... I'd like to setup an IP tunnel to connect my network to ... but was hoping that ssh-tunnel would work. ... I route traffic between two networks connected by an ssh tunnel? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Strange problem with opening a network place could be ISA 2004 or XP SP2 Problem
    ... We cannot open network place on a remote server which we ... We make the VPN connection to the Linux firewall PC from which we can the ... see Help and Support Center at ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Critical Errors In Security Log
    ... The remote server for me IS ... receiving my request and is returning the expected negotiation. ... tunnel aren't even logged in and haven't been for several days. ... Network cables are never "quiet". ...
    (microsoft.public.isaserver)
  • VPN Connection Cant get past password.
    ... I have successfully used a VPN connection for a number of years mapped to a ... shared drive on a remote server. ... I now need to map to another drive on the network. ... When I re-enter the same logon/password as I use to get to the server it ...
  • Re: Download file from another server
    ... You need to set up some means of communication between the webserver on ... remote server in relation to the webserver. ... If the ASP.NET app running on a webserver needs to access a file on ... another internal server in the same network, ...