RE: [opensuse] creating a tunnel between to networks

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:43 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 14:41 -0700, James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

Locally I have several Suse boxes and a remote server running Redhat
Enterprise. I'd like to setup an IP tunnel to connect my network to
the remote server. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

I think you have three options:
1) ipsec-tunnel
2) openvpn, tun,tap
3) ssh-tunnel, tun

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you, Hans.

I was looking into vtun, but was hoping that ssh-tunnel would work. Could
I route traffic between two networks connected by an ssh tunnel? If so,
could you point me to some howto's so I could set this up.

Again, many thanks.

James

Hi James,
Have the details / scripts @ work

But you can find most details in:

http://charles.karney.info/tunnel/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN
http://blog.rot13.org/2009/04/simple_network_to_network_vpn_with_openssh_and_tun_device.html

On a good network it works very nice...

Note however,
It an easy method using pre-shared-keys (in contrast with certificates)
You might run into problems if applied over un unreliable network, like
wifi. because it's doing a nested TPC layer ontop of another TCP layer.
And if TCP is causing much re-transmissions you might end up in doing
only re-transmissions ;-)

In those situations openvpn (ip over udp) or ipsec (even less overhead
openswan/strongswan) might be better.

hw