Re: [opensuse] Java install ?

On Friday 24 of April 2009 11:05:07 David C. Rankin wrote:
Erik Jakobsen wrote:

<snip>

I use Firefox

Erik

Erik,

What does the follow show when pasted into the command line? (need not be
root):

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display java

If you have more than one version, then for setting the default JRE, call
(-- as root --) the following command:

update-alternatives --config java

The output will show you what you have and allow you to configure the
default. You will see something like this:

[03:13 alchemy:/usr/lib64/jvm] # update-alternatives --config java

There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection Alternative
1 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java
2 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java
*+ 3 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

Also, do *not* forget the java plugin! The default Java plugin is called
javaplugin (for Sun's Java) and a libjavaplugin.so.[arch] for
icedtea7/openjdk6. For a change of default plugin, you should type:

update-alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64

JFI: Names of Java alternatives was unified, so openjdk now uses javaplugin as
Sun Java.

@David: is you don't want to use opendjdk, just uninstall it. openjdk has a
biggest priority in alternatives system, that's why it's selected by default.
After that you can type update-alternatives --auto to restore an automatic
behavior of the alternatives system.

Best regards
Michal Vyskocil

  • Re: A constructive debate: Eclipse or NetBeans?
    ... that Linux and command-line driven languages like OCaml are so much more ... That's because most people never learn to use a command line or a simple ... Trying to run other people's OpenGL-based Java demos from the web I find ... OpenGL). ...
    (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)
  • Process.waitFor() returns, but threads reading output/error streams are blocked on read
    ... threads to read in the out/err streams, ... i'll include the java source below, but the problem seems extremely specific ... passed in on the command line). ... process is hung if i terminate the process the command line tool connects to ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Denigration of GUI
    ... the output of one command into another etc. ... We're talking about text v. gui. ... Color UI has been available at least a decade before Java. ... all Java programmers) have no idea how anything works, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: My shell cant find Java
    ... I downloaded java with netbeans from Sun ... >> Each time I type java I get an unknown command error. ... how you set environment variable depends on what shell you're using. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • Re: Timed wait fails under WebStart in Java 1.6 prerelease?
    ... the java command line. ... that I show you the jnlp specs for the configuration which does not run: ... java.specification.vendor: <Sun Microsystems Inc.> ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)