Re: [opensuse] Java install ?

On Friday 24 of April 2009 11:05:07 David C. Rankin wrote:
Erik Jakobsen wrote:

<snip>

I use Firefox

Erik

Erik,

What does the follow show when pasted into the command line? (need not be
root):

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display java

If you have more than one version, then for setting the default JRE, call
(-- as root --) the following command:

update-alternatives --config java

The output will show you what you have and allow you to configure the
default. You will see something like this:

[03:13 alchemy:/usr/lib64/jvm] # update-alternatives --config java

There are 3 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection Alternative
1 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java
2 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java
*+ 3 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

Also, do *not* forget the java plugin! The default Java plugin is called
javaplugin (for Sun's Java) and a libjavaplugin.so.[arch] for
icedtea7/openjdk6. For a change of default plugin, you should type:

update-alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64

JFI: Names of Java alternatives was unified, so openjdk now uses javaplugin as
Sun Java.

@David: is you don't want to use opendjdk, just uninstall it. openjdk has a
biggest priority in alternatives system, that's why it's selected by default.
After that you can type update-alternatives --auto to restore an automatic
behavior of the alternatives system.

Best regards
Michal Vyskocil

  • Re: A constructive debate: Eclipse or NetBeans?
    ... that Linux and command-line driven languages like OCaml are so much more ... That's because most people never learn to use a command line or a simple ... Trying to run other people's OpenGL-based Java demos from the web I find ... OpenGL). ...
    (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)
  • Process.waitFor() returns, but threads reading output/error streams are blocked on read
    ... threads to read in the out/err streams, ... i'll include the java source below, but the problem seems extremely specific ... passed in on the command line). ... process is hung if i terminate the process the command line tool connects to ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Denigration of GUI
    ... the output of one command into another etc. ... We're talking about text v. gui. ... Color UI has been available at least a decade before Java. ... all Java programmers) have no idea how anything works, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Regexes on the command line
    ... When the java command inside the script executes it reanalyzes the command string and since the single quotes are gone it misinterprets the special characters. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: My shell cant find Java
    ... I downloaded java with netbeans from Sun ... >> Each time I type java I get an unknown command error. ... how you set environment variable depends on what shell you're using. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)