Re: [opensuse] Re: Re: The Ext4 file system

Heinz Diehl wrote:
On 05.06.2009, Dave Plater wrote:

Take note I'm running factory and have the latest version of e2fsprogs and a
2.6.30-rc6-git3-4-default kernel. I'll see how it compares to my main
xfs partition.

It sucks :-)

I did some benchmarks for some time, not only throughput, but also
responsiveness (with Ted Tso's fsync-tester), and ext4 is still behind xfs.
It handles a lot of very small files somewhat faster than xfs, but that's it.

I'm using ext2 for my boot partition and XFS for all the rest exclusively.

I use the partition I changed from ext3 to ext4 for backing up my home
directory etc when I do a fresh install and for storing dvd isos, its
basically stuck on ext3 for the life of the hard drive. Converting it to
ext4 is the only thing I can do otherwise it would have been xfs a long
time ago.
Regards
Dave P

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.2 has buildtin Ghost?
    ... Xfs on / requires a separate /boot partition formatted as ext2. ... I use ext3 for / and xfs for /home. ... combining disparate filesystem types on the same drive. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.2 has buildtin Ghost?
    ... I use ext3 for / and xfs for /home. ... my /boot partition is ext3. ... As to the benefits of xfs over ext3 (except for the boot partition), well, to name one, it does instant fsck on boot, like reiserfs. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Converting ext4 to xfs
    ... I was wondering if there was any way I could convert an ext4 partition ... I don't have a real answer except perhaps to create a new LVM for XFS ... and have a separate xfs partition in the created space for the large files? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop
    ... It seems to me, still, that though XFS is faster (en general! ... partition: Why shouldn't I do this given that I do ... The swap business. ... I know that there can be no absolutely correct choice. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • XFS crash
    ... This is not fatal but it's a real PITA; that partition has about 200 GB ... How stable is XFS? ... I've used ext3 ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)