[opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?

Grub has a few problems...
my 'boot' partition was too small, so I repurposed an unused partition
(named 'Boot', and renamed the old partition to 'OBoot').

I had been in the middle of a Xen kernel install when it complained about
the space, so it set up the boot to boot from the xen kernel instead of the
regular.

Bug1:
Well after rebooting, it still comes up and says "Xen.gz" not found on
hd(0,1). I'm not sure -- but I don't think hd(0,1) = 'Boot'.

Bug2 (maybe bug 1a?)
It returns me to a menu where I can boot from the regular kernel.
Unfortunately, it's the wrong menu. After I renamed and remounted my /boot partition, I edited the menu.lst file and added some new entries.

Unfortunately, when my system boots, it is still displaying the old
menu from the "OBoot" partition -- now its clear, at run time, the
partition 'Boot' (the new larger partition) is mounted at /boot. And the
menu file there doesn't represent what I see at boot time.

Bug3)
I go into the yast2 boot loader options to see if it tells me anything -- and IT shows me my NEW longer menu -- so YAST2 isn't showing
what I actually get during boot -- it should display the same menu I see
at boot time.

Bug4) I see an option for a 'Graphical Menu File' on (hd0,1).
That isn't one of the labels I assigned to my disks.
It appears to be using 'physical partition numbering -- something that
looks like "sda2"

But I was told to forget about "sdUp" (and hdUp) nomenclature (U=unit, p=partition) and only use labels. Despite my reservations,
I complied with the directive and purged my knowledge of those ancient
labels...but this leaves me with 'hd(0,1)' I see referenced during
the boot phase and in the message file, which looks much like the forbidden, ancient knowledge.

So how do I tell the boot load to boot from the partition mounted on
/boot with label 'Boot', and how do I purge these evil references, I was
told were no longer useful and not to be used?

Is there someone who is living in a fantasy land where where we can only use
labels? Because it appears that my system (running 11.1) isn't quite there
yet...

Am I going to have to restore that "forbidden, ancient, outdated" knowledge
from my mental archive backups because someone is living in a fantasy world
where only LABELs are necessary for Booting? Cuz, my system, as configured
by the installer, didn't use LABELS for booting, but appears to have used
the same old banned nomenclature of
"sda2", just in a grubby dialect.

Hmm...

So how many bugs do I actually have? Just the configurator that wrote the
boot info and 'yast-bootdloader' that doesn't read the real boot-info, or
do none of the boot-programs actually allow labels? I guess that' be a 3rd bug?

The fact that 'boot-loader' yast2, allows such invalid nomenclature might
arguably be a 4th one...

How do I tell the boot loader to boot from my new 'Boot' (whereever it is)...

  • Re: BootIt NG high level steps - best approach??
    ... backup boot strategy. ... As far as BING, I should tell you I've been using this software ... make managing your bootable options and partition management so much easier. ... drives) and the DATA partition on a mirrored array. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Dual booting
    ... of Microsoft's dual boot scenario. ... The extended partition is not assigned a drive letter, ... BIOS reserves letters A and B for floppy drives, ... If WinXP Setup ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... I ended up reinstalling Vista, ... The boot SECTOR is not the bootLOADER. ... finds the partition table for that HDD and sees that the first partition is ... violated, we no longer can simply install WinXP, install Vista and ...
  • Re: how to change out system disk?
    ... Inaccessible_Boot_Device, when trying to boot from the new HD, but sometimes ... WinXP booted, you can still run Word, Quicken or whatever without having to ... following the primary partition and the first logical drive ). ... > logical drives in a single extended partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: XP reinstallation woes on Multiboot system
    ... original installation a breeze.Was I ever wrong! ... I mean the moment the yellow progress bar in Setup is Copying Files ... You need to be *very* quick to catch it, if you want to Boot into any ... & what Partition are you choosing to do the Install onto? ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)