Re: [opensuse] JAVA conversion tool

In <4A3621C4.604@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, G T Smith wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday June 13 2009, G T Smith wrote:
C is much more efficient than Java. ...
That is a myth.
?? Nonsense...

Benchmarks say otherwise.

Depending on the application, Java can actually be faster than C because of
dynamic (run-time) optimizations applied by the JIT compiler (which outputs
native code, avoiding "interpreter overhead"). There is generally more
fixed overhead, which makes Java look slow on micro-benchmarks but real
benchmarks are much more favorable.

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all&box=1
is a fair set of benchmarks across languages. C and C++ are still the
leaders as far as run time (with C++ beating C), but Java is right behind
them overall and does run faster on some of the benchmarks when you drill
down.

I'm still an advocate for ISO-standardized languages (C being my favorite),
but I'm getting more friendly toward languages that have a free software
implementation.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))

  • Re: A 21st Century Apple II?
    ... responded with specific benchmarks using the Java 6 client because I ... Intel compiler, then look at the average performance across all ... that appears to be supported by the benchmarks at the language shootout web site if you look at them in aggregate. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: Javas performance far better that optimized C++
    ... It is a misconception that Java is interpreted: ... And most of the benchmarks stay clear of the object ... > you need to test the same algorithm coded in both languages. ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: A 21st Century Apple II?
    ... For all 17 benchmarks, Java is never faster than C++, and up to 10x ... Java wins comprehensively are the only two that do either memory de- ... Language selection will always be a religious issue. ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: The Speed, Size, and Dependability of Programming Languages
    ... there seem to be only a few occam benchmarks. ... bigForth is below Gforth. ... Comparing GForth/bigForth and GCC are ... Can Java actually be faster than our beloved ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: java performance on machines
    ... Primarily the goal is to compare cpu/memory power on different ... The idea is to write a series of tests in java, both integer and float ... If synthetic benchmarks are ok then you could look at the SPEC benchmarks ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)