Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?

On 2009/06/15 16:55 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

jdd wrote:

2) lilo don't have the boot editor. It's very usefull for advanced
users when changing some hardware and the computer don't boot anymore.

I consider myself an advanced user, but I have no idea what the "boot
editor" is - is it a special grub feature?

Probably what he means is the Grub shell. If boot fails due to some system
change the bootloader doesn't know about or understand, one can use the Grub
shell to interactively locate & load a kernel & initrd to get booted, then
via that virtually normal boot find and fix whatever went wrong, all without
hunting down some media to perform a rescue boot, or needing to figure out
why rescue and/or chroot doesn't work right.

I find the Grub shell indispensable, and never use any Grub scripts for
anything at all any more. I usually use the shell to setup Grub whenever
setup is necessary (on RAID systems so far I've been letting YaST2 do it).

I never learned anything about lilo except how difficult it can be compared
to Grub, particularly if boot fails and lilo needs fixing.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  • Re: Naming harddisks (Linux)
    ... But I also see that for an USB drive it uses /dev/sdas the ... Does GRUB recognize SCSI drives? ... The first step in understanding the boot process is to ... The bootloader's job is to load the OSs kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: remove partaion
    ... The most interesting hurdle will be what the Master Boot Record ... thus kill GRUB. ... I would copy your MBR and first 63 sectors (see the MBR Copy Appendix ... GUI or command line commands to accomplish that. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How do I make a boot disk so I can restore Grub?
    ... I read that Windows will overwrite the MBR. ... > need to make a boot disk so I can restore MBR after Windows ... How do I make a boot disk and be able to restore Grub on ... with the designation for wherever your boot partition is. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Install FC2 in external HD + boot via floppy
    ... a external HD and keep the XP on the internal disk. ... that my laptop does not boot from the usb... ... An alternative way of creating a cd that will boot grub is shown below. ... Making a GRUB bootable CD-ROM ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: RAID 1
    ... >> at boot to know if it is a raid device or not. ... but a general decision that people take to mirror ... partitions and not whole drives. ... > still have a copy of everything, but because grub didn't make the ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)