Re: [opensuse] grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?

On 2009/06/15 16:55 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

jdd wrote:

2) lilo don't have the boot editor. It's very usefull for advanced
users when changing some hardware and the computer don't boot anymore.

I consider myself an advanced user, but I have no idea what the "boot
editor" is - is it a special grub feature?

Probably what he means is the Grub shell. If boot fails due to some system
change the bootloader doesn't know about or understand, one can use the Grub
shell to interactively locate & load a kernel & initrd to get booted, then
via that virtually normal boot find and fix whatever went wrong, all without
hunting down some media to perform a rescue boot, or needing to figure out
why rescue and/or chroot doesn't work right.

I find the Grub shell indispensable, and never use any Grub scripts for
anything at all any more. I usually use the shell to setup Grub whenever
setup is necessary (on RAID systems so far I've been letting YaST2 do it).

I never learned anything about lilo except how difficult it can be compared
to Grub, particularly if boot fails and lilo needs fixing.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/