Re: [opensuse] ping and telnet solves hostname to different IP addresses?

Anders Johansson wrote:
Sounds like a coincidence. I bet if you were to do
host svn.realss.com

a bunch of times, you would get the 202.106.199.36 a few times, just as you
say your network is configured to do. The fact that it happened just as you
switched to telnet must have been a coincidence. They both use the normal
glibc lookup functions to convert a host name to IP address

Not so sure. After I posted the message I edited /etc/hosts to add a
line specify

221.219.118.212 as svn.realss.com and re-run two commands, the output stays the same, so telnet ignored /etc/hosts setting (???) .