Re: [opensuse] Use of suse logo [was: Zypper Cheat Sheet]

Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Andreas Jaeger<aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 14 August 2009 14:16:10 Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:44 AM, Arun Khan<knura@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 12 Aug 2009, Juan De Vincenzo wrote:
<snip>

Thanks and great job!

Also, please let me know if for any reason I infringed any licenses
or anything, since as you can see I included the OpenSUSE logo. Hope
it is ok.
Logos are usually copy righted and cannot be used without specific
consent from the owner. To be on the safe side I would suggest you
remove them.
What are the rules for the opensuse community using the opensuse logo?
See http://news.opensuse.org/2009/03/02/opensuse-trademark-guidelines-
released/
I seriously hope the logo can remain on these pdfs. They are a
quality piece of support literature. And it is now being hosted on
the opensuse wiki which has the logo all over it.

Is there a way to submit them to the opensuse board etc. for approval
to use the logo?
Yes, see above.

I think in this specific case, ask on the opensuse-project mailing list if the
policy is not clear (haven't checked it myself),

Andreas

The actual guideline is at
<http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/5/51/OpenSUSE_Trademark_Guidelines.pdf>

To me it is not clear in this case. ie. Several use cases are
addressed, but I don't think this one is. I'll post a question on the
opensuse-project mailing list.

Greg

Perhaps another approach is just write the info directly in the wiki and let the wiki itself supply the logo naturally.
I don't know how formattable the opensuse wiki is but I know mediawiki in general does allow for that much formatting by a regular user.
And, I don't know if the opensuse wiki has it, but I know I installed a simple plugin to my mediawiki that provides a link on every page that generates a pdf of that page.

Maybe the opensuse wiki doesn't allow for these right now, but they are small changes that opensuse might be convinced to add, with this document as the example and justification for the request.

A nice, functional and truly helpful "good thing(tm)" document like that shouldn't be held up because of issues like the right to incorporate the logo, and neither should it have to look less snazzy in order to be allowed to exist.

If it were possible to write it in wiki instead of in office/pdf/etc... that would solve everything and it would be a more elegant arrangement with one easily maintainable copy of the data instead of multiple redundant pdf files that aren't easily editable.

--
bkw