Re: [opensuse] Panel bar problem in 11.1 install

Clayton wrote:
I did a fresh install of 11.1 on a friend's computer. I backed up his
home directory and deleted everything in it after this problem first
appeared (then selectively restored things like .mozilla and
.thunderbird, etc.)

The problem that has happened through two new installs is: The system
does not initially display a panel bar at the bottom of the screen (or
anywhere else either), it only displays a very limited menu of a few
applications on the screen.

<snip>

Nothing specific, but there are a few things you can do with a
misbehaving KDE4. First... have you upgraded to 4.3.1? or are you
trying to run 4.0.3? Second, and I found this was almost mandatory -
and easy since you have a clean install - delete either all of .kde4
and .kde or at the minimum the rc config files in .kde4 to force KDE4
to reset to factory defaults. This generally clears up almost all odd
weird issues - particularly ones that crop up from upgrading from
4.0.3 to 4.3.1.

C.

Thanks! When I did my own install, SuSE automatically connected to the
net and upgraded KDE4. When I did my friend's install, even though SuSE
found the net, it did NOT do the upgrade. When I performed the upgrade
by hand, the problems went away.

Thanks,

Jim

  • Re: Cant glib20 compile
    ... which I followed and it was then that the problem first appeared. ... have you tried another 'pkgdb -F' to see if it finds any problems? ... it tries to install glib20... ... take the system out of service during the Christmas week and upgrade to ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Requesting some leniency on your piracy protection program ple
    ... If Windows is retail, not at all. ... You can reinstall, upgrade, move to a different computer all you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. ... The things I do not get, is not being able to> install the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 10.6.7 Just works
    ... If you have the install disc just pop it in and do a reinstall. ... The recent upgrade to 10.6.7 brings a lot of problems with third part ... I have tried switching System Language, and even restarting the mac. ... Did anyone else run into a slow restart after the 10.6.7 update ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: upgrading xp to vista premium question
    ... prior to using an upgrade install of Vista. ... install of Vista Home Premium full retail version was to my main MCE2005 ... built and did a clean install and love it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)