Re: [opensuse] how many folks running suse 11 are heavily into IPv6?

G T Smith wrote:

The earliest I remember talk about IPv6 was about 15 years ago, and
mainly in the context of a solution to a shortage of address space with
IPv4. When NAT became perceived as a basic solution to the latter
problem interest waned, I suspect this is because those with existing
and working networking infrastructures were a bit unwilling to replace
them with something which (if it worked as expected) did much the same
as they already had at a perceived considerable commitment of resources.

I suggest you read a good text on IPv6 to see just what it can do. It
does many things far better than IPv4. Greater address range is just a
small part of what it does. Also, IPv4 addresses are running out, even
with RFC1918 NAT. Because U.S companies grabbed so many address blocks,
much of the world, particularly Asia, is starving for address space.
However, even reallocating some of those addresses will not solve the
problem, as there are many, many devices that want an IP address, beyond
just computers.

  • Re: ipv6 question
    ... IPv6 for the WAN, and IPv4 for the LAN. ... Then I think you're saying NAT is here to stay .. ... As it so happens, renumbering IPv6 is trivial. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] IPv6 & NAT [Was: 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working]
    ... Also, as has been mentioned earlier, NAT is a poor solution because of the problems it causes. ... That isn't a failure of IPV4 so much as a demonstration of the success ... With IPv6, the available addresses makes it possible to arrange addresses in a geographic manner, in order to avoid the issue. ... And do you really want the government - any government - dictating ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
    ... -my work laptop ... I was really worried about IPv6 when this topic came up a few months ... You'll just not have to use NAT to support multiple computers. ... That issue simply does not arise with sufficient address on either IPv4 or IPv6. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
    ... and the gateway that maps those non-routable address across the 'Net is ... any provider-based IPv6 unicast address allocations. ... IPv6 is "broken" in exactly the same way that IPv4 was. ... However, while RFC1918 addresses are often used with NAT, they don't have to be. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] IPv6 & NAT [Was: 11.3 and ssh X forwarding not working]
    ... This means ISPs will no longer be able to get those ... addresses and will be forced to hand out NAT addresses. ... is well with IPv4 and NAT is extremely short sighted. ... features with are built into IPv6, such as mobile device routing, IPSec ...
    (SuSE)