Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up

On Saturday 24 October 2009 22:42:03 Osamalamadingdong wrote:
Bob S wrote:
On Saturday 24 October 2009 04:27:02 Aaron Kulkis wrote:
.....<snipped my own stuff>,,,,,,

Aaron,

....<snipp0ed more>......

Reboot completed, you are now in runlevel S

5. cd /tmp (yes, even though the /tmp filesystem is
not mounted, the directory is still there,
because it's needed as a mount point.
Let's make sure that there aren't any files
in /tmp on the root filesystem that then
get hidden (and thus, not available to be
removed / recycled because your /tmp filesystem
is covering them up!)
6 ls -al /tmp.
If anything is listed other than . and ..
remove them

Lots of stuff. But I am afraid of removing it, Here is what's there:

Total 24
drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .
drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 ..
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .ICE-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .X11-unix
drwx-------- 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 kde-root
drwx-------- 3 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 ksocket-root

Now !! Here is something strange ! After I finished this reply to you, I
re-booted to make sure what I had written was correct. The last two line
of the above were difffferent. They changed to this:

All of that is created as needed.

OK Please be patient

That's why I gave the instructions which I wrote above.

OK, I went and followed your instructions after Carlos chided me for not doing
that.
rm -rf /tmp/.* /tmp/*

Or, even more simply:
rm -rf /tmp ; mkdir /tmp; chmod 1777 /tmp

Everything cleaned out and made new and continued with an fsck on all of the
partitions. Rebooted and still have the / 10GB partition filled to 99%
capacity. Now if you want to continue with me on my little saga, see my reply
to Mike.

Bob S

  • Re: klibc
    ... The rootfs is always there: ... > init runs from that rather than the root filesystem, ... Obvously, after a mount /, it is not. ... # exec the real init and begin the real boot process. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Fedora Core 3 Update: kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3
    ... I was in the middle of reporting problems with 1371 when 1372 came ... it can't mount the root filesystem. ... Mounting root filesystem ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fsck at boot, skip a disk ?
    ... single user mode still mounts all local file systems. ... order to edit /etc/fstab you'll have to remount the root filesystem ... then you'll need to mount /usr too. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: TrailTech Endurance confusion
    ... small zip-ties, and the handlebar mount. ... the sensor so that the magnet passes the end of the sensor less than ... I meant the mounting instructions. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • DHCP net boot fails on V440
    ... It's failing to mount the root filesystem via the downloaded inetboot ... 1000 Mbps full duplex link up ... Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard ...
    (SunManagers)