Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up

On Saturday 24 October 2009 22:42:03 Osamalamadingdong wrote:
Bob S wrote:
On Saturday 24 October 2009 04:27:02 Aaron Kulkis wrote:
.....<snipped my own stuff>,,,,,,

Aaron,

....<snipp0ed more>......

Reboot completed, you are now in runlevel S

5. cd /tmp (yes, even though the /tmp filesystem is
not mounted, the directory is still there,
because it's needed as a mount point.
Let's make sure that there aren't any files
in /tmp on the root filesystem that then
get hidden (and thus, not available to be
removed / recycled because your /tmp filesystem
is covering them up!)
6 ls -al /tmp.
If anything is listed other than . and ..
remove them

Lots of stuff. But I am afraid of removing it, Here is what's there:

Total 24
drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .
drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 ..
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .ICE-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .X11-unix
drwx-------- 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 kde-root
drwx-------- 3 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 ksocket-root

Now !! Here is something strange ! After I finished this reply to you, I
re-booted to make sure what I had written was correct. The last two line
of the above were difffferent. They changed to this:

All of that is created as needed.

OK Please be patient

That's why I gave the instructions which I wrote above.

OK, I went and followed your instructions after Carlos chided me for not doing
that.
rm -rf /tmp/.* /tmp/*

Or, even more simply:
rm -rf /tmp ; mkdir /tmp; chmod 1777 /tmp

Everything cleaned out and made new and continued with an fsck on all of the
partitions. Rebooted and still have the / 10GB partition filled to 99%
capacity. Now if you want to continue with me on my little saga, see my reply
to Mike.

Bob S