Re: [opensuse] A "warning" about Thunderbird (3.0) in 11.2

On 10/11/09 21:52, olit@xxxxxx wrote:
On 11/10/2009 11:42 AM, Clayton wrote:

Oh, there is still a bug in TB 3.0 which is that it does not
automatically start Firefox when you left-click on an URL mentioned in a
TB message. You need to Copy the URL and then paste it in Firefox's URL
window :-( . Annoying but not fatal.

It's not a bug in Thunderbird. Thunderbird tries to start whatever http
handler is defined in gconf.
Given you are talking about the KDE desktop the handler for http is
epiphany in gconf and as that is not installed just nothing happens.
There is a bug about it but some disagreement who is responsible for that.

Grrr, that's annoying :-( I was wondering why my test machine using
T-Bird was behaving like this, but hadn't taken the time to
investigate.

So... if you're not using Gnome and using KDE, E16, or any other
desktop... how are the users supposed to:
1. Know this?
2. Change it?
:-( rhetorical questions

C.

It's annoying, thats true. Anyway, yesterday I found the following
"How-To" to set the defauls to firefox (each two lines belong into
one!!!!!):

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command
'/usr/bin/firefox %s' --type String

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/enabled --type Boolean true

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/command
'/usr/bin/firefox %s' --type String

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/https/enabled --type Boolean true

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/ftp/command '/usr/bin/firefox
%s' --type String

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/ftp/enabled --type Boolean true

Best, Oliver.

Groan, and so where is this "gconftool-2"-thingie supposed to be found?
How about providing the reference to the "How-To" which you found yesterday?

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.