Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.2 and Nvidia

On 19/11/09 19:36, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 11/19/2009 03:08 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 19/11/09 07:34, Catimimi wrote:

Hi,

1° - I installed opensuse 11.2 with the Nvidia driver downloaded from
Nvidia,
everything works OK.

2° - I cloned the kernel, then compiled it, this kernel boots OK.

3° - I installed the NVidia driver on this cloned kernel, X doesn't start !!

Did someone meet the same experience ? and what can be done ?

Thanks for reply.
Regards.
Michel.

You need to compile the nVidia driver for the cloned kernel, and to do
this you need <cloned-kernel-type>-source and <cloned-kernel-type>-devel
installed before you compile the driver.

Compile the driver, yes. The rest, no, as the right files are there after the kernel was compiled.

So, the basic tenet is: when you compile your own kernel you also need
to compile the nvidia driver ( the *.run from nVidia) to fit the newly
compiled kernel.

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.