Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.2 and Nvidia

On 19/11/09 19:36, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 11/19/2009 03:08 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 19/11/09 07:34, Catimimi wrote:

Hi,

1° - I installed opensuse 11.2 with the Nvidia driver downloaded from
Nvidia,
everything works OK.

2° - I cloned the kernel, then compiled it, this kernel boots OK.

3° - I installed the NVidia driver on this cloned kernel, X doesn't start !!

Did someone meet the same experience ? and what can be done ?

Thanks for reply.
Regards.
Michel.

You need to compile the nVidia driver for the cloned kernel, and to do
this you need <cloned-kernel-type>-source and <cloned-kernel-type>-devel
installed before you compile the driver.

Compile the driver, yes. The rest, no, as the right files are there after the kernel was compiled.

So, the basic tenet is: when you compile your own kernel you also need
to compile the nvidia driver ( the *.run from nVidia) to fit the newly
compiled kernel.

BC

--
I work to live not live to work.

  • Re: What Was Your Experience When You First Started Using Linux?
    ... The Nvidia driver package is wonderful, ... On debian sarge I was unable to compile them because - I guess ... Unless I felt like recompiling my kernel - I did ... that should be pretty straightforward for an average user still require ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.2 and Nvidia
    ... - I installed opensuse 11.2 with the Nvidia driver downloaded from ... - I cloned the kernel, then compiled it, this kernel boots OK. ... You need to compile the nVidia driver for the cloned kernel, ... be used to OVERRIDE any parameters set at boot-time of oS. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11.2 and Nvidia
    ... - I cloned the kernel, then compiled it, this kernel boots OK. ... - I installed the NVidia driver on this cloned kernel, ... You need to compile the nVidia driver for the cloned kernel, ... Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/ ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Distributions
    ... | general there are a lot of packages for people to use. ... kernel, have to run on a multitude of different systems, they tend to be ... and slower than if you compile those packages, ... can have that stability with virtually any distro. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Distributions
    ... Ubuntu is based on Debian, ... | general there are a lot of packages for people to use. ... kernel, have to run on a multitude of different systems, they tend to be larger ... and slower than if you compile those packages, ...
    (Debian-User)