Re: [opensuse] Beginner: How do I mount a floppy disk? Summary

Instructions I previously got on this list pertaining to the topic:

1) insert floppy
2) open shell
3) su root
4) mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Won't #4 cause problems...
rather mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
yes, better I suggested:
mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
perhaps then, in light of copy-pasteable instructions, we should make double sure the path exists..
mkdir -p /media/floppy (--> I DID do that)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
open a terminal of your choice.
now let's say you have a directory tree in /media as such:
/media

-->/DVD

-->/fd0

in the terminal, you do:
$ mount /dev/fd0 /media/fd0

That will mount the floppy
now to UNmount

$ umount /dev/fd0
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My "doings"
1. power on computer
2. start dolphin
3. Places: contains -->
Network
Root
Trash
PC Floppy
4. Root -> mnt = empty
Root -> media = disk, disk-1, floppy (I previously created that directory using the above suggest mkdir ... command), Traeger2 (name of an USB stick I used once). Neither of these folders can be moved to Trash (deleted)

5. insert floppy (drive makes noises)
6. Click on "Start icon" -> Terminal -> open
7. type: su root ( really hope, this is what Mr. Jensen meant with "su root")
8. Password: type "password"
9. Prompt:
typed here ->
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt (-> probably mistyped, omitting the "/" before mnt)
mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /media/fd0
10. no access to floppy, NONE of the folders shows any files
11. typed: umount /dev/fd0
no reaction

*********************
here is the "bash output" (I did not "bash" anybody ...):

thomas@linux-b0l6:~> su root
Password:
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # mount /dev/fd0 mnt
mount: mount point mnt does not exist
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # mount /dev/fd0 media/floppy
mount: mount point media/floppy does not exist
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # $ mount /dev/fd0 /media/fd0
If '$' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
cnf $
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # mount /dev/fd0 /media/fd0
mount: mount point /media/fd0 does not exist
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # unmount /dev/fd0
Error: Try the command: umount
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # unmount
Error: Try the command: umount
linux-b0l6:/home/thomas #
*********************

Definitely I am too stupid to look out of the window, but I believe I followed all the instructions given
1) insert floppy
2) open shell
3) su root
4) mount /dev/fd0 /mnt (-> including suggested variations)

also tried, as suggested, to:
remove the mount folder or remove the ".hal-mtab" and ".hal-mtab-lock" files.
Using my "skill", those things can be selected, but not "removed" or deleted or anything ....

The floppy is and remains unreadable.
WHAT is it, that is sooo difficult???
Where is the hidden miracle command that makes the whole thing work?
Would the above procedure actually be the thing I have to repeat EACH time I want to look at a floppy?? (like: save a 1-page text file and move it to a different computer) Incredible!!
How about "pop FD in -- read/write -- pop it out" that works on all Windows and Mac machines?
(By the way: I don't have any problems with USB sticks, CDs etc.)

On a different list somebody kindly told me:
"You won't get that kind of hassle-free experience with Linux. It's not the Linux way. Get used to it."
So much for user friendliness.

Mr. Dunsavage kindly pointed out:
"I don't understand that (my trouble). With the fine search tool out there calledgoogle, days learning how to mount a floppy is astounding. I see in your topic you say you're a beginner, and welcome to the land of Linux, but some research on your own isn't a bad thing."

Thank you for the hint. By now I know I am too stupid for this thing, but as a feeble excuse in my defense:
I did go through the official documentation (no mentioning of mounting a floppy drive, or formatting a floppy disk as far as I can see) = about 5 guide books, put together about 1,000 pages. Downloaded other ebooks/instructions (several 500-1,000-page volumes!) pertaining to Linux and checked there; the link Mr. Dunsavage provided takes me back to SUSE 9 or earlier versions; I have been looking through various foren, mailing lists, internet articles ... you name it.

And all this business about floppys ... this is "just" ONE example of many things I cannot get to work. I am spending so much time on this particular problem out of principle: I WANT to get it to work. If I can solve THIS "problem", MAYBE I might even make progress with all the other "little problems" I have.
At the moment this seems to be utterly hopeless.
Am I really supposed to believe that it "simply works" for everybody else??

  • Re: Permission Problem
    ... I have been trying to get my floppy drive to allow user to read/write it. ... Only way to mount is as root, ... Devices as floppy and USB/firewire media is always mounted by root, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Permission Problem
    ... I have been trying to get my floppy drive to allow user to read/write it. ... Only way to mount is as root, ... Devices as floppy and USB/firewire media is always mounted by root, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Write to floppy?
    ... root and trying to mount it with -w as root. ... Are you sure that the little tab on the floppy has not been set to read ... matt@mattspc /mnt $ touch usb/file ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Permission Problem
    ... I have been trying to get my floppy drive to allow user to read/write it. ... Only way to mount is as root, ... USB thumb drives and floppy disks are often formatted with a FAT ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Locking Down a Linux Box
    ... I'm new to this list, but we were talking about network security, ... It currently doesn't use (mount) any hard drive ... > can be write protected so not having floppy support in your kernel only ...
    (Focus-Linux)