Re: [opensuse] Beginner: How do I mount a floppy disk? Summary

On Fri November 27 2009 3:00:49 pm Per Jessen wrote:
Richard Creighton wrote:
Definitely I am too stupid to look out of the window, but I believe I
followed all the instructions given
1) insert floppy
2) open shell
3) su root
4) mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

Missing in all the instructions I have seen given to you previously is
to INSURE THAT THE "<mountpoint>" directory EXISTS, and if not, to
create it before attempting the above steps. To the experienced
Linux/DOS person, that may seem obvious,

I left it out because /mnt is always created on an openSUSE
installation. Probably most other distros too, it is _the_ standard
mount point after all. Besides, even it had been removed,
"mount /dev/fd0 /mnt" will give you a really sensible error message.

Per,
Your instructions might have worked or provided an error message, but look
again at what he provided:

linux-b0l6:/home/thomas # mount /dev/fd0 /media/fd0
mount: mount point /media/fd0 does not exist

For whatever reason, he attempted to mount to /media/fd0 and that directory
did not exist, a really sensible error message. Why he chose that over /mnt
is an entirely separate discussion, probably related to the earlier provided
links to the wiki which "explains" the various system directories
including /mnt and /media which both are rather ambigious as to what
is "temporary" and not. Personally, if it is removable media, I use /media,
if it is 'semi-permanent', eg, NFS or loop mounted or appears in fstab but
not as automatically mounted at boot, I use /mnt/<subdirectory-tree> as
appropriate because while temporary, they are persistant until I umount or
reboot and generally are unaffected by the automount. So, while you are
right that /mnt probably would have shown an error had he used it and failed,
that isn't what he showed and nowhere did I see anyone indicate the
destination mountpoint should explicitly be verified as existant.
--

Richard

  • Re: TrailTech Endurance confusion
    ... small zip-ties, and the handlebar mount. ... the sensor so that the magnet passes the end of the sensor less than ... I meant the mounting instructions. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)
  • Re: single user mode buildwerld failures
    ... // check + mount all filesystems ... // prepare /etc for the world install ... // run mergemaster again ... All these instructions are in the handbook. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Schmidt hub, which lights for commuting by road?
    ... It was mounted according to the instructions that came with it (which made it very easy to get the manufacturer, Duracell, to pay for a replacement lamp and wheel). ... The mount has 2 screws, ... The screws can't be accessed while the lamp is fitted, the mount has to be screwed on with the lamp detached. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up
    ... On Saturday 24 October 2009 22:42:03 Osamalamadingdong wrote: ... because it's needed as a mount point. ... in /tmp on the root filesystem that then ... That's why I gave the instructions which I wrote above. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: GRUB issue
    ... Anyways I followed the instructions on the page and got the right ... Secondly when I try to mount it I get the following: ... wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2, ... Now since /dev/hda1 is listed as NTFS, I thought maybe I can try ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)