Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.2 has buildtin Ghost?

On Saturday 05 December 2009 21:24:01 Frans de Boer wrote:
On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 01:50 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Saturday, 2009-12-05 at 16:18 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
I have tried to use 11.2 installed on a ext4 partition.

---
Might try 'xfs'. ??

Xfs on / requires a separate /boot partition formatted as ext2. You might
get it working without this, but it is not guaranteed.

I use ext3 for / and xfs for /home.

Still, nobody has experienced the same?

Also, my /boot partition is ext3. I just wonder, what is the benefiet of
using xfs above ext3?

Frans.

Hi Frans,

I have experienced such 'ghost' files in the past. The entire '/' filesystem
would eventually become corrupted and I'd have to 'wipe the slate clean' and
reinstall.

This turned out to be a **hardware specific** problem (chipset / host
controller module + hard drive firmware) that could be triggered in one of two
ways:

a) combining disparate filesystem types on the same drive. As I recall,
double-buffering was default enabled with some filesystem types and not
others. The symptoms went away when I selected a single filesystem type for
use in all partitions on that drive, i.e. all reiserfs or all ext3 or all
ext2, and so on,

b) installing into an existing '/' partition without first mounting it and
deleting all the contents.

To reiterate, this experience was **hardware specific** so YMMV.

hth & regards,

Carl