Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.2 has buildtin Ghost?

On Saturday 05 December 2009 21:24:01 Frans de Boer wrote:
On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 01:50 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Saturday, 2009-12-05 at 16:18 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
I have tried to use 11.2 installed on a ext4 partition.

---
Might try 'xfs'. ??

Xfs on / requires a separate /boot partition formatted as ext2. You might
get it working without this, but it is not guaranteed.

I use ext3 for / and xfs for /home.

Still, nobody has experienced the same?

Also, my /boot partition is ext3. I just wonder, what is the benefiet of
using xfs above ext3?

Frans.

Hi Frans,

I have experienced such 'ghost' files in the past. The entire '/' filesystem
would eventually become corrupted and I'd have to 'wipe the slate clean' and
reinstall.

This turned out to be a **hardware specific** problem (chipset / host
controller module + hard drive firmware) that could be triggered in one of two
ways:

a) combining disparate filesystem types on the same drive. As I recall,
double-buffering was default enabled with some filesystem types and not
others. The symptoms went away when I selected a single filesystem type for
use in all partitions on that drive, i.e. all reiserfs or all ext3 or all
ext2, and so on,

b) installing into an existing '/' partition without first mounting it and
deleting all the contents.

To reiterate, this experience was **hardware specific** so YMMV.

hth & regards,

Carl

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.2 has buildtin Ghost?
    ... I use ext3 for / and xfs for /home. ... my /boot partition is ext3. ... As to the benefits of xfs over ext3 (except for the boot partition), well, to name one, it does instant fsck on boot, like reiserfs. ...
    (SuSE)
  • XFS crash
    ... This is not fatal but it's a real PITA; that partition has about 200 GB ... How stable is XFS? ... I've used ext3 ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Does XFS work with LVM?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Does XFS work with LVM?