Re: [opensuse] Linux on a single computer

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 14:25 -0200, Marco Calistri wrote:
On Wed 16 Dec 2009 at 14:02:15 (-0300 UTC), Clayton wrote:

The open source ATI drivers do work for basic stuff, but so far, I've
not had much good success with them on the apps that need more
graphics capabilities. For example, on 11.2 on my system with the ATI
1250, using the community drivers (only option now with that card), I
get loads of graphics artifacts - something that was reported on the
list already.

C.

Wonder if, when purchasing a new laptop to be used with Linux in general
and openSUSE in particular, must I be aware to the video card manufacturer?

Right now I have an HP DV6230BR, which is equipped by a Nvidia GeForce
Go 6150 and since openSUSE 10,3 it never caused problems.

Several new HP laptop models are now provided with ATI Radeon HD 4200:
are there any issues related to this video card?

On laptops, I always look at the display chipset. Nvidia is first
choice.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

  • Re: Maya on 2 Monitors w/different Resolutions - Window height problem
    ... I have a laptop that I sometimes connect to an LCD ... monitor in the span mode. ... like a solution for nvidia geforce users, my laptop has "ATI MOBILITY ... X600 is not actually a certified Maya video card which could be your basic ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.alias)
  • Re: [opensuse] Linux on a single computer
    ... The open source ATI drivers do work for basic stuff, but so far, I've ... must I be aware to the video card manufacturer? ... Go 6150 and since openSUSE 10,3 it never caused problems. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: 2003 Server: need video driver
    ... If you can't find a driver, and are unable to change the video card (sounds ... like you are on a laptop) you should look into Virtual PC 2004 or VMWare. ... >>>> compatible with the ATI Mobility FireGL T2? ...
  • Xorg Freezes
    ... I'm having a Toshiba M70-192 laptop with Ati Mobility Radeon X700 video ... OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc. ... Sometimes just kwin freezes so I can switch to a console, kill kwin, export ... I've updated the system regularly - 3 kernely updates, several fglrx updates ...
    (Fedora)
  • ATI All-In-Wonder and new hardware...
    ... Since that time, my ATI All-In- ... Wonder 7500 video card has been malfunctioning. ... I don't always get an message from Windows when I ... a video driver. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)