Re: [opensuse] Re: Linux on a single computer

lynn wrote:
If you've got a hp, be careful not to say the word "linux". I made that
mistake, and they immediately stopped talking to me, saying they
couldn't help unless my laptop was in its "original configuration".

John Perry

Thanks for the warning. This is looking worse post by post. I don't think
anyone will help you one to one with Linux. In my experience the only help you
can get is on lists like this or on a sort of of Ubuntu type help level on the
opensuse forum.

Well, my experience wasn't with asking for software help -- any mailing
list will give better advice than hp's bottom-feeder script readers in
India. I have two hardware failures (power button and internal
speakers), and hp had sent me email telling of an extended warranty on
my laptop series.

The power button was clearly not a software issue, and the speakers were
dead even when I booted into xp pro. But as soon as I let the L-word
slip, they cut me off and said they wouldn't talk to me until my
computer was in its "original configuration".

After I bought a new hard drive and put xp pro alone on it, they then
revealed that the extended warranty didn't include the power switch or
speakers.

Need I say I won't be buying another hp computer? :-(

jp

  • Re: my reminders dont work
    ... made it past the point of checking to see if my speakers were turned on? ... > the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal ... > | I run this configuration on both my laptop and my desktop. ... As far as I can tell, the configuration is ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: my reminders dont work
    ... that your sounds are working correctly and that you have your speakers ... the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal ... | I run this configuration on both my laptop and my desktop. ... As far as I can tell, the configuration is ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Speakers and windows xp
    ... If your laptop is old enough, I suppose it might not be able to power your new speakers this way. ... I am not forsure why they would not work since the picture on the speaker box shows that it can hook up to a laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: running BOINC with sched_ULE
    ... Laptop: ... powerd is enabled using the default configuration, the laptop mostly runs on AC power. ... I've attached the output from 'sysctl kern.sched' and 'cpuid' and my kernel configuration. ... An other thing I noticed in top is that the idle process can have a WCPU value of more than ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Ask EU - tape conversion
    ... ubnderpowered in the audio output department. ... if I invested in a pair of speakers which came with their own amplifier. ... Perhaps a visit to a store with your laptop is called for. ... what sort of power of speaker ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)