[opensuse] Maximum number of partitons

Hello:

What is the maximum number of partitions that can reside on a hard disk and/or can be handled by openSUSE?
(I know that max 4 primary, of which one can be extended, and the extended one has logical partitions.)
I read somewhere that some version of openSUSE can handle only a limited number of partitons (~10-12) if a given driver (libata or not the libata or ?) is choosen to handle disks. But I can't recall where I read this and in what extent it is correct. I've read the release notes of 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 but did not find anything related. I am planning to make more than 10 partitions and I would like to see clearly.
I am using openSUSE 10.3 and experimenting with 11.1 and 11.2.

Thanks in advance,
Istvan