Re: [opensuse] how to recover from partial kernel upgrade?

On 01/19/2010 05:37 AM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Does it help if I download the full kernel package and install manually?
Consider my poor skill level (I use the opensuse mostly for
non-technical work) I might need the download link directly instead of
just dropping me a hint "yes that would work". I am a bit surprised
because I think if the package and depended packages are not fully
downloaded, opensuse should not install them, that should be a basic
requirement for package manager.

ANSWER: yes!

As long as you have a bootable system (even if you don't you can use the
install dvd and chroot the current install), I would grab the kernel,
kernel-source and kernel-syms (full rpms, NOT the deltas), download them however
you can and copy them over to your suse box. (a flash drive will work) Then put
them in a directory by themselves (all 3 in one directory) and then just cd into
the directory and as root:

rpm -ivh *.rpm

Normally, that would 'install' the new kernel along side the existing one
instead of -Uvh which would upgrade/replace the existing kernel. I say use -i
instead of -U because -i just provides a failsafe.

HOWEVER, since you are installing the same kernel again, in this case -i will
be the same as -U essentially and you will probably have to add --force to the
rpm command line. I would also use -U in this case (the results will be the same):

rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm

to tell rpm to go ahead and overwrite the existing kernel files with the new
ones. (and YES, this is one of the rare proper uses of --force, don't use it
accept in this limited setting where you need to overwrite an existing package
with the same one)

The direct links to a reliable source for the distribution, repositories and
updates are:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/update/

I don't know where you are getting your kernels, but the latest in updates is:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/update/11.0/rpm/ppc/kernel-ppc64-2.6.25.20-0.5.ppc.rpm

(note I don't know if a ppc/g4 is ppc64 or ps3, but you can find both above.)

If you a ppc64 box then your base url would be:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/update/11.0/rpm/ppc64/...

It looks like you are getting a newer kernel from one of the other repos. Just
look for that repo under:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/

and you should find it. Good luck!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

  • Re: Existing DSL not detected by re-install
    ... >Just in case you compile something that needs the kernel source. ... and then failing to install because ... Anyway, I had the same *problem*, the 2nd time with the download from ... >or two after a change is made on the parent sites. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: EL4 ES kernel recompile
    ... We need to build the source rpm to get the sources. ... Install kernel-.src.rpm (given the default RPM configuration, ... the kernel tree will be located ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [opensuse] RPMs needed for kernel upgrade?
    ... It is pretty simple to install your own Kernel, ... You can just download the needed RPMS (I guess that was your original ... Just to kind of show you what you need, do a rpm -qa | grep kernel ...
    (SuSE)