Re: [opensuse] how to recover from partial kernel upgrade?

David C. Rankin 写道:

HOWEVER, since you are installing the same kernel again, in this case -i will
be the same as -U essentially and you will probably have to add --force to the
rpm command line. I would also use -U in this case (the results will be the same):

rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm

I did exactly as instructed, except used
kernel-default-2.6.25.20-0.5.ppc.rpm instead of
kernel-ppc64-2.6.25.20-0.5.ppc.rpm because ibook/ppc G4 is 32-bit, not
ppc64, and I think it sounds even further away from ps3. Result:

# rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm
Dependency problem.. <- this is what i recall, because I have to write in paper to type here.
kernel-default_ppc 2.6.27.39-0.2.1 is needed by (installed) kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.39-0.2.1.ppc

This is rather surprising to me because when I am trying to install
2.6.25 and was prompted I miss something 2.6.27.

After hard google I found a package:
ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/opensuse/update/11.1/rpm/ppc/kernel-default-2.6.27.37_2.6.27.39-0.1.1_0.2.1.ppc.delta.rpm

I tried to find a non-delta without success, so I try install the above,
I was told dependency issue, that I need kernel-default-base.

Then I google around and found this:
ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/opensuse/update/11.1/rpm/ppc/kernel-default-base-2.6.27.37_2.6.27.39-0.1.1_0.2.1.ppc.delta.rpm

Then I try to install both, and I was told I already have both installed. Beyond that, I was told I already have kernel-default-base-2.6.27.42_0.1.1 which is a newer version than the version I am trying to install.

Then I try to force install the not-thought-as-new version, was told by rpm:

error: unpacking the archive failed: cpio: bad magic.

Since so far I had went 20 round trips between sitting room and bedroom (where another Ubuntu PC with Internet connection that I can use to download things), my wife start to wonder if I am getting sick or nerve problem, then I had to stop. What do you think I should do now?

I had to things in mind:

First a system should not fail to boot after a partial update, given enough time to let package manager recover from it after broken Internet connection (in my case a whole afternoon).
Second: OpenSuSE should behave like Ubuntu where older kernels are offered to users during booting. I cannot find old kernels anywhere on opensuse. Are they just deleted after kernel upgrade?

Anyway if there is a shortcut to solve my problem. I am happy to learn rpm and suse inside and out, but I have other 100 non-technical task chasing after me and two dozen phone calls to pick up in a day's working hour (now 2AM mid-night), that I really appreciate an easy fix, if possible ;)

Thanks & best regards

  • Re: Fwd: [opensuse] Want To Try OpenSUSE - But Struggling With Live DVD
    ... All I really want to do is install OpenSuSE on an empty ext3 partition ... i.e. on my tyan with the HT1000 chip set, ... not work because the kernel does't support it. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers?
    ... With OpenSUSE 11.0 I first had an ATI 9700 pro hooked up to my Acer ... again to install the nvidia drivers. ... available for my kernel version. ... NVidias 'nvidia' driver ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Xen install stuck
    ... system/virtualization the offer to "Install Hypervisor and Tools" ... opensuse, ubuntu) and do much searching and reading on the web and discovered that simply put, Xen is not in a good state right now on Any OS. ... Unsupported by either Xensource or the main kernel developers that is, the dist may or may no provide some support for their own builds in some cases. ... but uses not the latest developments in the virtualization and so the network, disk, memory, & cpu performance are somewhat less than what the latest form uses. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Unable to insmod k8temp - help...
    ... I figured out how to install the gcc and gcc+ compilers. ... I got the source code for the k8temp package, ... simply upgraded my kernel to the latest openSUSE kernel. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)