Re: [opensuse] how to recover from partial kernel upgrade?

David C. Rankin 写道:

HOWEVER, since you are installing the same kernel again, in this case -i will
be the same as -U essentially and you will probably have to add --force to the
rpm command line. I would also use -U in this case (the results will be the same):

rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm

I did exactly as instructed, except used
kernel-default-2.6.25.20-0.5.ppc.rpm instead of
kernel-ppc64-2.6.25.20-0.5.ppc.rpm because ibook/ppc G4 is 32-bit, not
ppc64, and I think it sounds even further away from ps3. Result:

# rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm
Dependency problem.. <- this is what i recall, because I have to write in paper to type here.
kernel-default_ppc 2.6.27.39-0.2.1 is needed by (installed) kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.39-0.2.1.ppc

This is rather surprising to me because when I am trying to install
2.6.25 and was prompted I miss something 2.6.27.

After hard google I found a package:
ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/opensuse/update/11.1/rpm/ppc/kernel-default-2.6.27.37_2.6.27.39-0.1.1_0.2.1.ppc.delta.rpm

I tried to find a non-delta without success, so I try install the above,
I was told dependency issue, that I need kernel-default-base.

Then I google around and found this:
ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/opensuse/update/11.1/rpm/ppc/kernel-default-base-2.6.27.37_2.6.27.39-0.1.1_0.2.1.ppc.delta.rpm

Then I try to install both, and I was told I already have both installed. Beyond that, I was told I already have kernel-default-base-2.6.27.42_0.1.1 which is a newer version than the version I am trying to install.

Then I try to force install the not-thought-as-new version, was told by rpm:

error: unpacking the archive failed: cpio: bad magic.

Since so far I had went 20 round trips between sitting room and bedroom (where another Ubuntu PC with Internet connection that I can use to download things), my wife start to wonder if I am getting sick or nerve problem, then I had to stop. What do you think I should do now?

I had to things in mind:

First a system should not fail to boot after a partial update, given enough time to let package manager recover from it after broken Internet connection (in my case a whole afternoon).
Second: OpenSuSE should behave like Ubuntu where older kernels are offered to users during booting. I cannot find old kernels anywhere on opensuse. Are they just deleted after kernel upgrade?

Anyway if there is a shortcut to solve my problem. I am happy to learn rpm and suse inside and out, but I have other 100 non-technical task chasing after me and two dozen phone calls to pick up in a day's working hour (now 2AM mid-night), that I really appreciate an easy fix, if possible ;)

Thanks & best regards