Re: [opensuse] WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -- Good News! Good News! Good News!

Basil Chupin wrote:
On 12/02/10 19:13, Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 12 February 2010 08:59, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you install KDE4.4 you will be pleased to know that you are now able
to set *each* desktop to have its *own individual* Wallpaper! 8-) . Waahoo!

That's the *good* 'noos'.

The *bad* 'noos' is that it will take you to first attain a University
degree with a major in non-creative thinking* *- otherwise known as
*"fuzzy thinking"* - to be able to achieve this :-( .

DON"T attempt to do this unless you first practice on some test setup....

I have now miraculously achieved this feat 3 times (on my 6x KDE 4.4
(nee 4.3) Desktops) but I still do not quite know how I achieved this :-( .

(The whole is supposed to be quite "intuitive" - but typically only for
those who bloody-well know what they are doing!

If you don't, then simply stick with KDE4.3 or earlier.)

Basil, please please write in detail about your experience, including
what you tired, what didn't work, and what could be improved. With
your input this situation could be improved for KDE 4.5. Thanks.

OK, here it is.

As you may remember back in KDE3 one right-clicked (R-C) on a desktop,
selected Configure Desktop then selected in that menu each of your
desktops one by one (if you had more than one - I have 6) and applied a
separate Wallpaper of your choice to each desktop. You then clicked on
OK (or was that Apply/OK?), the menu would close and each desktop now
had a different wallpaper.

In KDE44 you need to select a desktop showing in the Taskbar (bottom
lefthand). Then you:

* R-C on the desktop

* left-click (L-C) on Desktop Activity Setting

* select and apply a wallpaper to this desktop

However, if this desktop is not the first one you started with (before
you created your additional desktops) you will not have any icons for
the applications you would normally run. To create those icons:

* R-C on the desktop

* L-C on Unlock Widgets

* R-C and select on the menu Add Widgets

* L-C on this and you will get at the BOTTOM of the screen a bank of
icons showing the widgets which are available

* find and DOUBLE L-C on the icon showing Desktop Folder - the Folder
will appear on your desktop; but this folder will contain a
representation of what you would see in Dolphin - which is not what you want

* to get what you had in KDE3 you need to get the sidebar-menu for the
folder by placing the cursor on the folder; then

* L-C on the "spanner" in the sidebar-menu

* from the menu which comes up, L-C on the Show Desktop Folder and the
folder will change to what you had in KDE; however

* this menu you have in front of you will, most likely, have the bottom
covered by the band of widgets (at the bottom of you screen) - and the
bottom of the menu has the OK button which you need to click on to "get
it all together"[1]

* L-C and HOLD on the top of the menu and drag it upwards to expose the
OK button; click on OK and the bottom band of widgets will disappear and
so will the menu

* now you need to adjust the size of the Folder on the desktop or
reposition if you want to

* once this is done, R-C on the desktop and select Lock Widgets

Done.

Now, you need to do all this for each and every desktop you have created.

Once you've done this several times it all becomes a piece of cake! :-)

I know I should trim....but I wanted to illustrate that there is an
alternative method that is much easier....but still maybe more time
consuming than should be?

1. R-C on the Pager and pick "Pager Settings".

2. Pick "Configure Desktops"

3. Pick "Different activity for each desktop"

4. OK, OK

5. Proceed to configure each desktop as you wish with individual
wallpapers and widgets.

Ed

P.S. It is possible that I've explained a process that isn't in line
with what you've outlined. It was too complicated for me to parse. :-) :-)