[opensuse] systemload / cpu's

Perhaps a silly question...

I noticed on one of my machines, one of the cores was permanently 100%
busy, while others were stile idle. (two dual-cores)

This i noticed both for openvpn and rsync. For both my cpu is apperently
the bottleneck, not my network.

Aren't the processes supposed to be spread even on the different core's?

hw

  • Re: [opensuse] systemload / cpus
    ... busy, while others were stile idle. ... (two dual-cores) ... Until you have enough load to use up more cores, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] systemload / cpus
    ... I noticed on one of my machines, one of the cores was permanently 100% ... These programs, as are most programs, are single process/thread. ... If you have a tool that shows which CPU is busy, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Photoshop CS3 multithreading
    ... all 4 cores are veru busy. ... Similar things happen with various filters, ... or all 4 cores are very busy. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.photoshop)
  • Re: Multiple Threads vs. Asynchronous IO
    ... This means you can keep all the cores ... An event driven multi-threaded model where you have a limited ... Keeping cores busy is just one of the things threads do. ... In a true event driven system, every thread would be compute bound, except for when a thread waits for a new event which by definition there is nothing to do anyway. ...
    (comp.programming.threads)
  • Re: Multiple Threads vs. Asynchronous IO
    ... This means you can keep all the cores ... An event driven multi-threaded model where you have a limited ... Keeping cores busy is just one of the things threads do. ... If I have two cores and five disks, ...
    (comp.programming.threads)