[opensuse] kde3 vs kde4 file associations

For kde3, /opt/kde3/share/ contains directories like applnk, icons,
mimelnk. When we installed system-wide packages, we added file
associations and all to these directories. I am looking for the KDE4
counterparts. There is a /usr/share/applnk and /usr/share/icons. But
no /usr/share/mimelnk. Perhaps that is now /usr/share/mime.

Is there a good description of how this is structured in kde4?
Especially from the pov of system-wide software installation? That is,
not setting these things interactively in some KDE app (e.g., dolphin)?

The closest discussion I found on KDE was
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=49010 which did not really
shed any light on the topic.

--
Roger Oberholtzer