Re: [opensuse] Add more disks to RAID 5

Allan Dreyer andersen wrote:

Hi all

I have setup a home server running a RAID 5 (3 disks). Now I would
like to add 2 more disks to my RAID 5 but I'm not sertain how to do
it.

The RAID 5 is created of sda1, sdb1, sdc1 and I would like to add
sdd1, sde1 - what process do you recommend?

Both sdd1 and sde1 are currently mounted under /media/. So I assume
sdd and sde should be unmounted, formated to ext4 and changed to '0xFD
Linux RAID' - is this correct?

Hej Allan

Assuming we're talking about software RAID, I don't know of any way to
grow a RAID5. Therefore the process is roughly like this:

backup your data
unmount filesystem, destroy array
create new array with your new disks
create filesystem, mount filesystem,
copy back your backup

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.9°C)

  • Re: difference between striping using mdadm and LVM
    ... way!), is "thou shalt make a plan for restoring from backups, test ... another bonus of software raid - if your hardware raid card dies, ... additional backups on - I store my other backups on Iomega REV disks. ... is part of the live array, and both data and parity blocks are ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: DC RAID Configuration
    ... If the machine has 6 spindles then OS/Logs go on a hardware mirror, if 10 then they go on a 4 disk hardware based 0+1 RAID. ... Their DIT is only in the teens in size so the disks themselves could be small, you just need many to get the high IOPS that make AD really run smoothly. ... 30 DCs with 2500 users total, unless the environment had a lot of very heavy use AD apps I would likely be ok for even a single mirror for those DCs. ...
  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... old fileserver hardware I have on hand. ... But, as you probably know, these drives are reasonably ... desktop-class drives as JBODs and using mdadm to RAID them. ... want to move to bigger disks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: ASUS P4C800 Deluxe & SATA-2 drives?
    ... > "The P4C800 Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution. ... A Promise SATA ... transfer bandwidth to be increased according to the number of disks used. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: swap tuning
    ... But let's handle RAID first before we get into the other ... then if you are using hard disks of the ... PATA - i.e. 133 MB/sec for the entire disk controller with UDMA ... on top of all that, the Linux kernel also caches and buffers, and on ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)