Re: [opensuse] X problem on Inspiron 8200 11.2 & nVidia driver

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:29:03 Larry Stotler wrote:
Just did a fresh install of 11.2 on a Dell Inspiron 8200. It has the
GeForce 4Go chip with 64MB VRAM. It works fine with the oss driver,
but when I install the nVidia driver, I get a blank screen. It even
turns the backlight off.

I'm assuming there is a problem with the resolution but I'm not sure.
I can't get SaX2 to run at any setting with the nVidia driver.

Once I remove it, it works fine.

The display is a 1600x1200 UXGA.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Larry,

Check your x.org error log. I had a problem with x failing to start on 2
machines, one with nvidia and one with intel graphics. The solution for me was
to add vmalloc=256MB to the boot parameter line in grub. You can also try
128MB - that may work too.

BTW, how are you installing the nvidia driver? From source or via the nvidia
repo? I've also found that sometimes installing from source via the nvidia
installer is more reliable, especially if I've compiled a custom kernel.
Kernel modules get upset if different versions of gcc are used to compile the
module and the kernel.

  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... The problem was that installing the new kernel killed nvidia from ... -> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... >> of me running a test kernel. ... We've already established that the nvidia driver cannot exist in the ... installing the new kernel disabled the nvidia driver for the old ... It's very easy, install an RPM ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: F13 - installation problem (Anaconda + Display)
    ... In the meanwhile, since I'm installing on a SSD, ... After installation I tried to install the nvidia drivers from RPM ... once it's loaded the nvidia driver can't load. ... hurt to leave the kernel parameter there. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !
    ... The problem was that installing the new kernel killed nvidia from ... At what point was the old driver "killed"? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora 13 - How to blacklist certain updates?
    ... PAE does also offer NX - see farther down. ... process, unless the kernel was configured differently, but this is ... This driver is supplied by nVidia as a binary blob, ... kmod- nvidia rpm for it or use a real nvidia driver from the nvidia ...
    (alt.os.linux)