[opensuse] why desktop does copy instead of rename?

Hi,

Using Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop i686, KDE: 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) "release 3",
desktop as "folder view"

when I rename a folder that I have placed on the desktop (right-cklick on
icon, rename) the folder gets copied into a new folder with the new name and
in the end the old folder is deleted.

Why?

This is really strange, isn't it? To rename large folders (a camera card with
some GB's for example) takes quite a while because of the useless copy,
instead of just the time of a click.

Is this a feature or a bug?

regards

Daniel

my new blog: http://www.guapamania.com/wordpress/

  • Re: Re-accruing photos in a slideshow
    ... > numerical order and then select this new folder for screen saver but you ... > still will not get the photos to displayed in order. ... > If you want to try it, you can batch rename very quickly using XP. ... > in the order you placed the thumbnails. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)
  • Re: Creating slideshows in XP
    ... familiar with the Irfanview software, which lets you gather a particular set ... the pictures, and then it closes, i.e. doesn't do a continuous loop. ... I can take that new folder with the renamed files you mentioned and convert ... > If you need to batch rename and number, you can do this easily with XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)
  • Re: autofix failure
    ... One very bad feature about using windows to batch rename your photos: ... I found this out the hard way of course, renamed a whole folder and then ... >>> only when you download the pictures. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)
  • Re: Missing "Rename" option in My Documents files & folders
    ... General, Shortcut, and Security on a My Documents shortcut. ... Do not share this folder is checked. ... could have something to do with file sharing or ownership. ... Glad you seem to gotten Rename back. ...
  • Re: Photos and movie renaming dramas??
    ... I can veiw them fine but now i want to rename them so ... i dont forget the photos. ... name OK but the picture goes away and to open it i have ... you open the folder again for a slide ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)