Re: [opensuse] Firefox v3.6.3 on 11.2

On 2010/05/14 13:21 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman composed:

I have also d/l the Linux installation tar.bz
file from the Moxilla site,

Exactly which tar.bz would that be? I fetched
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.3/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.6.3.tar.bz2
which is a bz2, not a tar.bz. I don't see any Linux versions of FF for Linux
in tar.bz format on that download site.

and expanded it.

"Expanded"? Please explain just what you did.

It does not contain
installation instructions,

The one I downloaded contains no installation instructions other than a
README.txt that says:

"For information about installing, running and configuring Firefox including
a list of known issues and troubleshooting information, refer to:
http://getfirefox.com/releases/";. Trouble is, that redirects to
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html?from=getfirefox which has
no "information about installation". Mozilla needs a dose of clue.

However, that sort of dead-ends, as it has no "installation instructions".
What it does have is "release notes", which has a useless "installation". I
can understand your puzzlement. Sheesh.

and the script file contained in it claims it

Exactly which "script file"?

cant be executed, even by roor, although it is parked executable by all
and the owner is the user.

Did you try doing ./firefox or ./firefox-bin from the dir in which you
extracted the tar.gz?

I suggest you try the instructions on http://en.opensuse.org/Firefox before
continuing this thread.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  • Re: [opensuse] Firefox v3.6.3 on 11.2
    ... file from the Moxilla site, ... see any Linux versions of FF for Linux in tar.bz format on that ... The one I downloaded contains no installation instructions other than a ... Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation) ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Should we broaden the topicality of this group?
    ... linux version. ... difference in behaviour between linux-lcc (as installed according to the ... have pointed out that the installation instructions don't work. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 259
    ... > One issue I am having involves the ggz installation. ... There could be lots of reasons for a Linux box not to boot into ... > not a Fedora issue, it's a 2.6 issue which SuSE and Mandrake also has. ... > Can a Linux machine route tcp/ip data from a modem link to a local net ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Improvement in Freeview tuning functionality
    ... difficult in Windows too, of course, but, as my post and the following ... Sorry, but are you claiming that with all linux distros, etc, it isn't ... support to a limited number of models, ... The second method is to take all the installation mechanisms of the OS ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... >> package, and to have easy access to those files, especially the ones ... >> this as being helpful to Linux users, ... >> Linux could be made easier by having installation programs actually ... be searching for the executable and its command line for invoking the IDE, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)