Re: [opensuse] Firefox v3.6.3 on 11.2

Am 14.05.2010 16:57, schrieb Stan Goodman:
At 16:27:16 on Friday Friday 14 May 2010, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I suggest you try the instructions on http://en.opensuse.org/Firefox
before continuing this thread.

Thanks for this link! I have this page before, in updating FF on another
machine that runs 11.1, but couldn't find it now for the task at hand
for the 11.2 machine.

Here is the adventure of updating Firefox, and its surprising conclusion:

*****
# zypper addrepo --refresh
[...]

# zypper refresh
[...]
All repositories have been refreshed.
# zypper install mozilla:MozillaFirefox
Reading installed packages...
skipping package 'MozillaFirefox' (the newest version already installed)
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
#
*****

So supposedly all is well. But a look at "About Firefox" shows that what
is there is v3.5.9, not v3.6.3.

Why?

Beacuse zypper never does a vendor change. Your actual FF is from the
installation repository named "openSUSE". The FF you want is from the
openSUSE Build system obs. You should use YaST's software management to
switch vendors manually for the first time (see my other post that I
sent also as PM by mistake :-]). After that, you will always have the
latest version from that repo. But initially, you have to change the
repo by hand. Or: uninstall FF with all dependencies and do a new
"zypper in MozillaFirefox". Zypper will use the latest version from any
repo, when this packe has not been installed yet. If it was already
installed, zypper looks only at the repo you installed it from.

It's a feature... ;-)

HTH
Werner

  • [opensuse] Re: New install OpenSuSE 11.3 (64) repo list? xfce? {e16 & e17}?
    ... enough to let me finish the process with the safe mode grub entry... ... And after a while I tripped on instructions on how to use "zypper" to ... install the nvidia repo and which package my geforce 6* card needed... ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]
    ... Then, by analogy with what I did for the XOrg repo, ... YaST uses the same repos as zypper, but they can get out of sync when you're changing repos and repo configurations, something an X restart would fix. ... the next refresh by zypper will enable either to find and install ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] I am trying to understand this behaviour in zypper....
    ... On 27/11/12 20:32, Andreas Jaeger wrote: ... want to now install KDE 4.9.x as well as kernel 3.6.3.7-1 (both of which ... Then in a terminal I start zypper and it refreshes all the repositories. ... Thank you, Andreas, but I have already tried this and I get the response that this repo is not found in any shape or size or name ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]
    ... Then, by analogy with what I did for the XOrg repo, ... YaST uses the same repos as zypper, but they can get out of sync when you're changing repos and repo configurations, something an X restart would fix. ... the next refresh by zypper will enable either to find and install ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] How can I stop Yast kernel updates from deleting /lib/modules for the old kernel?
    ... Jan Engelhardt wrote: ... test of zypper, I've not used anything but Smart for updating since before 10.3 was released, and I have over a dozen 10.3 & Factory installations I've ... been frequently updating in that time. ... I should have know better than to use Smart as it had killed a 32-bit install as well last year. ...
    (SuSE)