Re: [opensuse] Dual boot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros

On Sunday 06 June 2010 06:52:29 C wrote:

Now, we get either nothing at all in Grub for other OSes,
or a chain loading mess of multiple Grubs... unless you go in and
manually twiddle and tweak your Grub menus.

The "mess" of multiple boot menus is actually the only fair solution with
reasonable maintenance and development cost.

There is grub, grub2, lilo, BSD, Windows and any other OS specific boot loader
that I have no idea it exists. Combine that with all kernel names and
versions, initrd names and versions, default disk layouts, default
configurations and user customizations (and errors). Number of combinations
that boot loader installer has to handle grows very fast.

Making all of them to appear in the openSUSE grub correctly is not always
possible, and even when it is, it can be very complicated and error prone
process, or better to say guesswork of "his masters mind".

The only problem with openSUSE approach is that not every OS (distro) is
configured to do the same; take care to boot itself correctly, and let the
rest boot trough their own boot loaders, making users confused which approach
is correct.

--
Regards Rajko,