Re: [opensuse] Dual boot: Suse does not find non-Suse distros

On Sunday 06 June 2010 06:52:29 C wrote:

Now, we get either nothing at all in Grub for other OSes,
or a chain loading mess of multiple Grubs... unless you go in and
manually twiddle and tweak your Grub menus.

The "mess" of multiple boot menus is actually the only fair solution with
reasonable maintenance and development cost.

There is grub, grub2, lilo, BSD, Windows and any other OS specific boot loader
that I have no idea it exists. Combine that with all kernel names and
versions, initrd names and versions, default disk layouts, default
configurations and user customizations (and errors). Number of combinations
that boot loader installer has to handle grows very fast.

Making all of them to appear in the openSUSE grub correctly is not always
possible, and even when it is, it can be very complicated and error prone
process, or better to say guesswork of "his masters mind".

The only problem with openSUSE approach is that not every OS (distro) is
configured to do the same; take care to boot itself correctly, and let the
rest boot trough their own boot loaders, making users confused which approach
is correct.

--
Regards Rajko,

  • Re: Vista SP2 Install Problems (Extended)
    ... I have a setup similar to a number of threads I've read here: ... Realizing, finally, the lack of Vista's boot loader being present is ... When I load the Vista Disc ... Once you install grub, BCD is dead and you cannot get it back even using the Vista DVD repair...won't happen, as you've noticed. ...
  • Re: grub invalid PT
    ... some time to learn about the boot loader. ... My first post explained how to install grub on a disk with multiple ... Missing kernel modules can be provided by building an initrd. ... The usual caveats apply to these exercises. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: grub invalid PT
    ... some time to learn about the boot loader. ... My first post explained how to install grub on a disk with multiple ... Missing kernel modules can be provided by building an initrd. ... There are some simple exercises you can do with grub, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Dual Boot Windows XP and Fedora Core 8
    ... GRUB boot loader and proceeded to advanced configurations and choose ... To run GRUB requires you have another boot loader that has an option to load ... the GRUB from sda2, so until you fixed this, you won't be able to boot into Linux. ... I suggest you install GRUB to MBR instead, this way GRUB will be loaded at the ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • RE: GRUB failure
    ... GRUB is loading part of the boot loader on the second drive. ... apparently thinks that linux is on the second drive. ... when both are in the same GRUB directory. ...
    (RedHat)