Re: [opensuse] Sound Question..

On 06/06/2010 09:52 AM, James Hatridge wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to get sound to work on my system. When I turn on Linux I get the
start up music, but when I try to watch a movie with VLC I get this:

####################
Audio output failed:
The audio device "default" is already in use.
Audio output failed:
VLC could not open the ALSA device "default" (Device or resource busy).

######################

Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks,

JIM

It means something is already using that device. I have that problem as
well, but only between Firefox and Amarok. If I play a mp3 in Amarok and
try to watch a video in Firefox, the sound will not work in Firefox
until I close Amarok. also if I watch the video first and then try to
play a mp3 in Amarok, I have to close Firefox, not just the tab or web
site, but the entire app, to get sound again in Amarok.

--
Michael S. Dunsavage

  • Re: Playing Sounds Concurrently from Multiple Sources
    ... the sound played fine mixed in with the music. ... >> When I loaded Firefox, however, I got no sound at all. ... >> I closed Amarok and both browsers produced the sound. ... Steps to Reproduce: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [opensuse] Firefox breaks sound in Amarok and vice versa
    ... If I want to watch anything w/ sound in Firefox, I have to close Amarok ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] sound in KDE broken....sort of
    ... If I play any mp3's in Amarok, i cannot hear any sound in Firefox until ... I completely close Amarok. ... device front:0: Device or resource busy ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Bastelei !
    ... Hier läuft openSUSE 11.1. Damit Amarok Sound abspielt, ... , mich noch mal einloggen, Amarok ... kann Firefox keinen Sound abspielen. ... Amarok und sehe dann in Firefox irgendein Video, ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: [kde-linux] S/PDIF sound
    ... I upgraded my kernel and kaffeine broke (and I'm sure other apps). ... The system sounds work, Amarok works, VLC works. ... Firefox has no sound, ... couldn't legally install if I wanted to since I can't and won't agree to ...
    (KDE)