Re: [opensuse] Ejecting a USB stick in kde4

On Sunday 20 June 2010 12:57:28 am Michael S. Dunsavage wrote:
On 06/19/2010 05:42 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
In my v11,2 laptop machine, when a USB stick is inserted, a
corresponding icon appears on the Desktop, through which one can do
many things, including ejecting the device.

In my desktop machine, in contrast, this important and handy icon
does not appear. Worse, if there is a way to eject the stick by use
of anything in the GUI, I haven't found it.

How can I get the same convenient icon on the Desktop machine?

Assuming it's KDE you're using (I haven't used Gnome anywhere near
enough to know the answer) add the widget "Device Notifier".

I put it on my desktop, but it works well in the system tray as well.

I am using kde4.

Apparently, I already have Device Notifier. The way I know that is that I
added another one from the menu, and it is identical with the one I
already have; now I have altogether four on the desktop, and find no way
to eliminate the excess (there are options for adding widgets, but none
for abandoning them).

But these Device notifiers are displayed as small windows, not as an icon
as I described on the laptop, and clicking everywhere on them has not
revealed a menu of actions for the USB stick, so this widget seems not to
be very useful. I did find a "Help" button with some relief; clicking on
it brings up a dialog window that says: "The file or folder help:/plasma-
desktop/index.html does not exist". Way to go, KDE!

If somebody could tell me how to achieve some control over the USB stick,
e.g. ejecting it, I would be very grateful. If somebody knows how to
discard the extra copies of Device Notifier, I will be overjoyed.
--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

  • Re: [kde] unmount usb devices
    ... Rick Miles escreveu: ... Add the "Device Notifier" plasmoid to a panel or to the desktop. ... offers the option but I prefer to use konqueror as my file browser. ... you will see an eject icon next to its name. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Ejecting a USB stick in kde4
    ... In my desktop machine, in contrast, this important and handy icon does not ... Regardless, as Michael said, you can add it ... Once you've found your Device Notifier, click on it to open it up. ... USB device name on the left column. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Ejecting a USB stick in kde4
    ... In my desktop machine, in contrast, this important and handy icon ... The Device Notifier should be there in the bottom bar/panel by default ... Clicking on it opens the small window that appears aanyway ... USB device name on the left column. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde] unmount usb devices
    ... I'm looking for a way to do this without using dolphin. ... Add the "Device Notifier" plasmoid to a panel or to the desktop. ... offers the option but I prefer to use konqueror as my file browser. ... you will see an eject icon next to its name. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: First thoughts on KDE4.2... lots of bugs...
    ... KDE asks for root permission when I open a folder with Dolphin ... The Kstart widget icon gets big when I am done. ... I too am not crazy about the new blue panel ...
    (Fedora)