Re: [opensuse] uncompessing zip files and accented characters

On 07/13/2010 04:47 AM, Istvan Gabor pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
2010. július 13. 1:04 napon Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

On 07/12/2010 03:53 PM, Istvan Gabor pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hello:

I am using openSUSE 11.2 with KDE 3.5.10.
I would like to uncompress a zip file which presumably contains several files with Hungarian accented characters in file names. When I use 'unzip' command in a terminal window I get file names like this:
K?zvet?t?v?laszt?sos

The ? marks probabaly replace accented characters.

How could I uncompress the zip file so that the original accented characters would be preserved?

Thanks,
Istvan

Perhaps install the font in question?

I do not think that it is a font issue. I rather guess the zip/unzip program uses a different encoding when uncompresses the file.
Is there a way to tell unzip which encoding to use?

Istvan

PLEASE KEEP REPLIES TO THE LIST. IF YOUR INFERIOR EMAIL PROGRAM DOES NOT
SUPPORT REPLY-TO-LIST HAVE ENOUGH COURTESY TO REMOVE THE PRIVATE EMAIL
ADDRESS BEFORE HITTING SEND. PEOPLE ON THIS LIST DO NOT NEED TWO COPIES
OF YOUR REPLY!

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998