[opensuse] Re: 11.3 how to move directory to save space?

Mike wrote:
I have a mixed system (Windows Vista and Opensuse 11.3). I just
upgraded from 11.2 to 11.3. I was running out of space prior to this
and uninstalled a few non-essential apps (games, graphics/multimedia
apps, etc). I am severely low on space in my root directory. I ran the
(new) Disk Usage Analyzer and found that my /usr/lib and /usr/share
directories are eating up the bulk of space. Is there any way I can
move either of these to the empty /overflow partition?
----
Hopefully you solved you problem, but if not, I had a similar
problem with my /usr/share/fonts being too big, so I:

faster:
mv /usr/share/fonts /home/.

(or safer:)
cp -a /usr/share/fonts /home/. && rm -fr /usr/share/fonts/

then:

mkdir /usr/share/fonts

and add to /etc/fstab:

mount /home/fonts /usr/share/fonts none bind

Then your directory at the new location will act like a directory
and not a symlink (if that's important for you -- for system
folders, it is for me -- some programs disallow symlinks in parts
of their paths as being potential security risks).

  • Re: [opensuse] 11.3 how to move directory to save space?
    ... and uninstalled a few non-essential apps (games, graphics/multimedia ... you can create a new directory on another partition or drive and move that directory there. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: VISTA Only For Games Soon ??
    ... they'll be games I won't even want to touch ... ... only the ones you want to play with full DirectX support on the newer ... other apps which may or may not be compatible with XP/32 bit for long; ... OS & there really isn't any excuse to not upgrade (whether you think you ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Re: Remember Paradise? Remember Inferno? Play again on iOS devices from today.
    ... There's no device limit for apps but there is a 10 device limit, up to 5 of which may be iTunes authorized computers for DRM'd content. ... The RedHat "pay for support" model might work for whole operating systems with corporate customers who require support contracts, but what about games houses, who have to pay for artists and musicians and a whole bunch of other stuff? ... Where's the open source *equivalent* Infinity Blade? ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: It Just Underscores the Point!
    ... don't want to repurchase software. ... Old Windows apps on Vista do ... Almost as good as Windows. ... Games often bend the rules, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Section 3.3.1
    ... I notice you offer nothing to support that assertion, ... Fortunately for Apple, HTML is terrible for apps, so this isn't a serious ... problem for their control over the platform and everything on it. ... CIDER is not used for the Windows versions of these games. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)