[opensuse] 11.3 - why can't I run gnome-settings-daemon independently anymore? Real disappointment...
- From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:00:07 -0500
In nearly all my other desktops (fluxbox, e16, e17, icewm, etc..) I have always started the gnome-settings-daemon independently as one of the startup programs for each of the desktops. It provides the gnome-screensaver and makes all the gtk apps look right.
To my surprise, you can't do that anymore in 11.3 -- Why Not?? When I start gsd, a process is registered in the process table because I can see it with ps ax, but it doesn't do anything it is supposed to. GTK apps all look pitiful and no screensaver, no nada...
So what gives? Is it a bug? Is it somebody's great idea at an 'improvement'? What? This is repeatable for me every time. Just open some other desktop, enlightenment, fluxbox, whatever and then as a user run:
then go check that it is running with ps ax, then look to see if it is working and whether it has started the gnome-screensaver, etc.. On my box it doesn't do anything.
What's up with that??
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: [opensuse] bug(?) Version 11.3 and Hylafax
- Next by Date: Re: [opensuse] VLC strangeness
- Previous by thread: [opensuse] VirtualBox and LiveCD
- Next by thread: Re: [opensuse] 11.3 - why can't I run gnome-settings-daemon independently anymore? Real disappointment...