Re: [opensuse] GTK tool ?

On Monday 30 August 2010 18:45:35 Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2010-08-30 06:51, Bob S wrote:
On Sunday 29 August 2010 05:13:49 Istvan Gabor wrote:

When you were having trouble did your other GTK apps work?, because
as I stated earlier, all of mine (as root) come up with the teeny tiny
fonts.

Hello Carlos,

Do you mean that you log in the full graphical session, as root? You are
not supposed to do that.

Yes of course, I know that, but did it to see if the same condition arose as
when I su'd to root to run grsync.

Since I knew that grsync worked properly as a user, I tried doing a thing
that I don't know if it is possible or doable. While logged in as root,
in a terminal, I did an "su bob", got my proper domain prompt, and then
did a "grsync", and got the following error message:

No protocol specified
(grsync:83621): Gtk WARNING **: Cannot open display :0.0

Obviously. You have to use "su - bob", not "su bob".

Obvious to you maybe, but not to me. Thanks for the lesson. I will try that
the next time I log in as (shudder) root.

The configuration tools for gnome are gconf-editor and
gnome-control-center.

When I try those to commands, both as a user and as root I get a
"command not found".

Thanks for your input Carlos.

Bob S