Re: [opensuse] Desktop after update

On 31-08-2010 14:13, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Monday 30 August 2010 19:47:16 Erik Jakobsen wrote:
I run openSuSE 11.3.

I have installed kedtoys4, and then I recognized, that also a new NVIDIA
driver was installed.

After the update I recognized, that my desktop looks like this:

http://www.urbakken.dk/desktop.jpg
Eric and I just corresponded on IRC about this. It turns out that Eric
'zypper up'ed from openSUSE 11.2 to 11.3, then installed kdetoys4. Because
'zypper up' does not update repo urls for you, kdetoys4 came from an 11.2
repo, downgrading the base kde platform to 11.2 versions. Since kde apps are
designed to be backward compatible with old config files but not forward
compatible with newer config files, his desktop got messed up.

Moral of the story: To update an installed system, the safest way is
currently to boot an installation medium and perform an update outside the
running system. This allows you to update repo versions and disables stale
repositories.

If anyone else makes this mistake, the remedy is to manually update all zypper
repos to the newer version and then run 'zypper dup' to get a consistent
system again. This won't fix any config files that have been addled by the
forward-backward do-si-do, though, so the old wisdom of backing files up
before an upgrade still holds.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, KDE Developer, openSUSE Boosters Team
Thanks for the chat Will. I just would try to change the repos, but Yast2 is ill too.

But for NVIDIA I haven't found good help since Sax2 was killed from the 11.3 package.

I have before tried to install 11.3 on another HDD, but due to the NVIDIA I couldn't get it up running
as before using Sax2. Is there now good advices on how to's ?

Erik

  • Fwd: [opensuse] X segfaults when we open Firefox or Chromium
    ... This is an updated Xorg which fixes tons of problems. ... Full openSUSE 12.3/KDE4 install using defaults. ... Added all the community repos except NVIDIA. ... NVIDIA repo and installed the drivers. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Nvidia comment
    ... the installer insists that the driver is installed. ... By the way, the nVidia card is brand new, by Albatron, the 6600 256 model. ... bought it after unsuccessfully and repeatedly trying to install the 3d ... > graphics card/driver setup unless either a kernel upgrade or graphics ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Skjermkluss i Mandriva 2006
    ... skjermkort samt 19 tommers flatskjerm. ... NVidia driverne, endrer skjermfrekvensen seg fra 60 hertz til 75, og dette ... OpenGL install prefix: /usr ... -> The latest NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (version ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Dependencies problem while upgrading
    ... nvidia module, I would rather switch to the Nouveau driver. ... I used yum for installing. ... I understand Fedora can't say how to install it, ...
    (Fedora)
  • How can I fix errors and warnings in nvidia module for Tesla C1060
    ... I am trying to install driver of nvidia Tesla C1060 on x86 based ... Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)