Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6

On 09/11/2010 12:49 PM, James Knott wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
My cell phone is only capable of IPv4 addresses
My Nexus One supports IPv6 and gets an IPv6 address when connected to
my home WiFi. However, I can't yet get IPv6 from Rogers. However,
that will likely change when 4G phones appear, as they will use voice
over IP and there aren't anywhere near enough IPv4 addresses to
support them.

Why not?

They are likely going to replace current smartphones, all of which have
IPs now.
They are all behind nat too.
Visit www.whatsmyip.net on your nexus one.
Then dial *#*#4636#*#* and select Phone Information. Scroll down till
you see Interface Rmnet0, compare numbers.

4G phones is a meaningless term.
LTE is meaningful, but does not require ipV6.

  • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
    ... both my notebook and Nexus One phone get IPv6 addresses in addition to v4. ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
    ... On my home WiFi, both my notebook and Nexus One phone ... all pc's/netbooks/notebooks will be able to do IPv6 over wifi. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Moving to IPv6
    ... My Nexus One supports IPv6 and gets an IPv6 address when connected to my home WiFi. ... I can't yet get IPv6 from Rogers. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] IPv6 - do you use SLAAC or DHCP ?
    ... devices I have are phones and pads etc. ... network got a global IPv6 address. ... I don't want any automatic IPv6 ... want to provide IPv6 server addresses to clients. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: PPP connection problem with Motorola cell phone as USB modem
    ... authenticates fine but then terminates due to "No network protocols ... but it looks like IPv6 causes the problem ... compression with phones too, but apparently your phone supports so ...
    (comp.protocols.ppp)