Re: [opensuse] [Unsuccessful installation of operating system]

On 2010/10/08 05:39 (GMT-0400) Stan Goodman composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

It's no wonder booting from the existing menu.lsts is not possible, but
proper Grub prompt commands succeed in starting SUSE boot. It _looks_
like all that would have been required to fix the problem would have
been to swap cables between the two SATA disks, but also swapping the
HD order in the BIOS might accomplish the same thing as a cable swap,
and could be the reason leading to this thread's OP.

I chose to switch the HD cables. The result is that booting hangs exactly
as before, but sda6 and sdb6 are now exchanged.

If I had thought harder I would have suggested the BIOS be tried first. I
don't remember any previous mention of cable swapping, but then again the
older Hitachi did get changed out for a Seagate. Some BIOS can be rather
unintuitive regarding boot order. When the old Hitachi was removed, before
there was any partitioning or formatting on the new Seagate, the BIOS itself
could have moved the formerly #2 Hitachi into the #1 logical position.

Long term, a correct fix to 11.1 probably requires /boot/grub/device.map be
rewritten to remove the reference to the no longer used Hitachi. To do it now
manually, you can change that line to read either '(hd0) /dev/sda' or '(hd0)
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3250318AS_6VY56XND'.

Try putting the cables the way they were, and swap the two in the BIOS boot
order. But first before you do that, try booting without the cable connected
to the Hitachi.

DFSee provides clues. One is that the order it presents the disks is in BIOS
order. As long as the two disks are shown as swapped from the order seen by
the SUSE installation programs, you cannot expect either menu.lst to work
unless you change each 0 to 1 and each 1 to 0 where you now see (hd0,5) &
(hd1,5), and do the same for each /etc/grub.conf before any new kernel
update. Also as long as the logical swap remains in place, attempts to
reinstall Grub will probably be fruitless, unless menu.lst, device.map and
grub.conf are conformed to the swapped order.

To make the series of boots easier between now and whenever the ultimate
solution has been implemented, try pasting the following into each menu.lst
as an additional entry:

title generic openSUSE on disk 1
rootnoverify (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz showopts root=/dev/sda6 noresume splash=verbose
vga=0x31a 3
initrd /boot/initrd

title generic openSUSE on disk 2
rootnoverify (hd1,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz showopts root=/dev/sdb6 noresume splash=verbose
vga=0x317 3
initrd /boot/initrd

'showopts' ahead of root= on kernel line will enable you to edit all relevant
portions of the kernel line if desired or required via the Grub gfxmenu, and
save having to do all that typing in a grub shell to get booted.

Before any kernel or initrd updates, you should goto /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and
uncomment the multiversion line, and also goto /boot and cp the current
initrd to a new name, such as initrd-2.6.34-12-desktop-orig, so it could be
used for more troubleshooting if necessary.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  • Re: Debian bootable on external USB-harddisk
    ... > They are all on the external harddisk since I want to boot from this ... >> fail if you have placed the kernel and initrd on the external ... >> available from BIOS. ... >> grub stage one on the external disk. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: [openSUSE] BIOS/GRUB Problem
    ... and gone through the BIOS settup. ... There is no difference when the boot ... Apparently now you have inappropriately configured Grub ... I had Bob S's 2 PATA/1 SATA system here for several days until this AM. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Re: [openSUSE] BIOS/GRUB Problem
    ... It's quite common for that result from BIOS disk to be ... incorrectly configured to boot. ... now you have inappropriately configured Grub on MBR of BIOS HD, ... I had Bob S's 2 PATA/1 SATA system here for several days until this AM. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Recover Root Password on FC 11 and Missing GRUB Screen
    ... I made an attempt to recover password by booting in single mode. ... to make the server boot in sigle mode. ... It does not bring up the Grub menu. ... Password protect the BIOS so nobody can change the above options. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Harddrive order - physical vs how openSUSE sees them
    ... that's actually putting swap into the slowest area of the disk ... ... full for grub to end up in the high range. ... Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS ...
    (SuSE)