Re: [opensuse] modprobe question

Hello,

[Topposting repaired]

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Tuesday, October 26, 2010 01:56:14 am David Haller wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On my machine I am running xawtv in corner of my screen in order to keep
an eye on the program and switch to my TV screen if it starts to become
interesting. When using Skype I want to use my webcam.
I run xawtv with the instruction to use video1 (xawtv -c /dev/video1) and
keep the Skype on video0.
In order to achieve that I have to give a "#modprobe bttv" before using
xawtv. I assume that there must an easier way to achieve that but did not
find out the howto.
Could somebody help me out?

Try
alias char-major-81-1 bttv
in /etc/modprobe.d/*-tv.conf

Thanks David,
That worked.

Wonderful. That alias tells the kernel, what module to use when
something wants to use /dev/video1. As there are many modules that
could be used, the kernel cannot determine which one by itself.
Except try all of them (and that might cause trouble).

The same problem applies for all devices that can have several
backends, e.g. for SCSI-Hostadapters (how should the kernel know
whether to load e.g. ahci, g_NCR5830 or aha7xxx for /dev/sda?), the
sound-devices, etc.

But usually, those are properly configured by yast, using hwinfo
output (as do other distributions). Just have a look around
/etc/modprobe.d/ for other stuff yast has configured for you,
i.e. what other aliases (and options) were "autoconfigured" by yast
using hwinfo.

And ahci is so common now, that it's in the SUSE-kernel image (and not
a module), and it doesn't seem to cause conflicts. Other modules might
cause conflicts though, e.g. if I load any but the right driver with
correct parameters for my ancient ISA soundcard and that driver then
tries to access the card, the whole system locks up hard, so a "try
all modules" approach does not work here.

-dnh

--
"When it works, it is just biding its time waiting for
a more inconvenient time for it to fail." -- Joe Moore