Re: [opensuse] Disappearing CD/DVD ROM

On Saturday 30 Oct 2010 13:00:07 Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Saturday, 2010-10-30 at 11:55 +0100, Bob Williams wrote:
On Saturday 30 Oct 2010 03:48:05 Carlos E. R. wrote:
Not only the automounter, but also the gadgets that grab the reader if
an audio cd is detected, then the other one that grabs it if it sees a
movie, then the other one that... you see the trend? :-)

Yes, I see the trend, but I don't know what do with it :( Must have
stayed up too late last night.

I've looked for Configuration/Settings in each multimedia app, but
nowhere is there a setting to stop each app from mounting/loading the
contents of the drive. I know you use Gnome, but perhaps if you could be
a bit more specific about what you would do there, I could translate it
into KDE-ese.

I'll try, but I don't know the equivalent KDE names.

In gnome, I go to the control center, and in the "look and feel" section
there is an item named "removable drives and media", without icon. This
dialog has tabs for storage, multimedia, cameras, pdas, printers and
input devices.

Storage has entries for browsing and mounting devices when inserted, or
burning blank dvds. The multimedia tab has entries for playing audio cds
when inserted, or pay video if a video cd/dvd is inserted, or play music
when a portable player is inserted.

You see, it is quite complete, although sometimes I'd like more fine
grain.

Many thanks, Carlos. I think the KDE System Settings > Removable Devices
(configure automatic handling of removable storage media) is equivalent to
your Gnome Control Centre > Look and Feel > Removable Drives and Media.

I have tried disabling all autoplay options here, without changing EAC's or
grip's ability to read the contents of the drive. In fact EAC cannot even see
the hardware, let alone read the contents of the inserted media.

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E

  • WMP 9 on Win 2000 Pro
    ... I have some questions about Windows Media Player use on Windows 2000 Pro ... Questions about Audio Formats. ... File and Album information. ... The "Changes made to files when media information is updated" help text page ...
    (microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer)
  • WMP 9 on Win 2000 Pro
    ... I have some questions about Windows Media Player use on Windows 2000 Pro ... Questions about Audio Formats. ... File and Album information. ... The "Changes made to files when media information is updated" help text page ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • WMP 9 on Win 2000 Pro
    ... I have some questions about Windows Media Player use on Windows 2000 Pro ... Questions about Audio Formats. ... File and Album information. ... The "Changes made to files when media information is updated" help text page ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: WMP 9 on Win 2000 Pro
    ... >I have some questions about Windows Media Player use on Windows 2000 Pro ... Most of the complicated page (like audio formats, ... Windows Media Audio Format. ... >When the Player automatically retrieves media information, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • Re: High Fidelity Audio and High End Video - how to make this work
    ... to analog TV at standard PAL resolution, ... based on features & convenience VS audio & video quality. ... Also Media Center will not be able to control other A/V ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)