Re: [opensuse] How to upgrade my kernel?

On 11/01/2010 09:12 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
Since upgrading my system back to 11.3 I am being plagued with the
intermittent hangs that occur with the latest nvidia drivers. I have read that
upgrading the kernel to 2.6.36 will cure these problems, but I'm unsure how to
go about this.

Begin with enabling the folliwng line in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

This will enable you to have two (or more) kernels to be installed.

I've enabled the ../Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.3/ repository, which contains a
number of packages relating to kernel 2.6.36-90.1, but I'm not sure which
boxes to tick in YaST.

Now open YAST for software install and select repositories from the view
and once you choose the Kernel:Head repo click also the versions there
you will see the versions installed on your computer (if so) and the
other possibilities ie. kernel 2.6.36-90.1 choose the same ones to be on
the safe side.

This way you will have two kernels one your current kernel and the other
one that you are going to install. When you reboot you will see these in
the boot menu so you can choose to boot in whatever kernel you choose.

Hope it helps

Togan

  • Problems with Sarge on OldWorld 604e PowerMac: booting, quik, 2.6 kernel, etc.
    ... I'd like to use quik to boot this OldWorld 7300 PowerMac directly ... The problems arise when I want to install a 2.6 kernel. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Where is the boot/config-`uname -r` file?
    ... This is the bootloader and before the kernel is started. ... Would it help if I copy this as is into the boot ... That is why it is empty. ... and I was able to install Debian. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: No keyboard at boot in Debian
    ... I was recently toying with my ATI drivers and a new kernel. ... I moved udev ... Try booting the good install and running fsck on the other / partition. ... This boot issue seems to affect previous kernels as well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux Router & Fwall - old bios - wont mount root
    ... Both boot and swap are well within the first ... Once GRUB has loaded the kernel, ... With 9.3, you should be able to do about a 500MB install, ... which seems to indicate that you have a problem with the disk. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)