Re: [opensuse] How to upgrade my kernel?

On 11/01/2010 09:12 PM, Bob Williams wrote:
Since upgrading my system back to 11.3 I am being plagued with the
intermittent hangs that occur with the latest nvidia drivers. I have read that
upgrading the kernel to 2.6.36 will cure these problems, but I'm unsure how to
go about this.

Begin with enabling the folliwng line in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf

multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

This will enable you to have two (or more) kernels to be installed.

I've enabled the ../Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_11.3/ repository, which contains a
number of packages relating to kernel 2.6.36-90.1, but I'm not sure which
boxes to tick in YaST.

Now open YAST for software install and select repositories from the view
and once you choose the Kernel:Head repo click also the versions there
you will see the versions installed on your computer (if so) and the
other possibilities ie. kernel 2.6.36-90.1 choose the same ones to be on
the safe side.

This way you will have two kernels one your current kernel and the other
one that you are going to install. When you reboot you will see these in
the boot menu so you can choose to boot in whatever kernel you choose.

Hope it helps

Togan